Chapter 36

August 23rd, 2017 / August 24th, 2017

"You don't need to be nervous," Jo whispered into the blonde's ear close to midnight. Taylor was releasing her first single after her media blackout and successful court case, and so she was nervous and slightly out of practice.

The younger girl's arms were wrapped firmly around Taylor's waist, now that they were no longer a secret, friends joined them. Selena and her boyfriend sat on the couch across from Taylor. Some of Taylor's team and her family as well.

"What if it's bad?" Taylor hummed, taking her hand and putting it overtop of Jo's clasp, the brunette's sturdiness making her feel more comfortable.

"Then pigs will fly and the moon will turn blue," Jo pressed a kiss to Taylor's cheek and let go of her, picking up the wine glass she'd placed on the mantle of the fireplace after taking it from Taylor's hand and gently giving it back to her, securing her own again.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Selena reassured her long-time best friend.

Taylor took a seat next to her while Jo had wandered off, most likely to go check on her dog that they'd locked in the spare bedroom upstairs to keep him away from the guests.

"Yeah, I'm just nervous because I haven't done it in so long and it's not my usual style of song. I mean, you've heard it but not everyone loves me as much as you."

Selena snorted, "They love you more."

"Shut up," Taylor flipped her off, laughing happily. In the corner of her eye she saw Jo sneaking through the back door into the Los Angeles backyard, the familiar blue leash in her hand.

"I can't believe you have a dog," Selena admitted when she saw what caught Taylor's attention, "Or a girlfriend, actually."

"The dog is a result of having a girlfriend," Taylor replied, smiling softly while trying to hide it. She adored Jo, and the mere thought of the brunette brought that stupid grin to her face most of the time.

"You still moved in with her," the other singer commented.

"It just kind of happened, she never left," Taylor laughed, and she was okay with that, Jo was her comfort and coming home to her was the best thing she could ever have imagined.

Jo walked back in and held the dog, trying to hide his presence best she could. She walked up the stairs, sticking her tongue out at Taylor when their eyes met.

"I don't want her to ever leave."

When the single was finally released, Taylor only listened to Tree while Jo's hand was wrapped within her left and Andrea's on her right. She squeezed Jo's tightly, trying to control her breathing that could slip to erratic if she didn't maintain the effort. She was nervous, her heart was pounding and every word the publicist said barely registered.

"Are we good? Have you heard enough?" Tree asked, looking up at Taylor's blue eyes.

"Yeah," the blonde agreed, releasing her pressure on the younger girl's hand, "Thank you."

A while later after congratulations and praise for the lead single, the singer's went up to their room as everyone else had left. There was still cleaning up to do but Taylor had practically begged Jo to come up to bed, adamant that it could all wait until the morning.

Jo was standing at the dresser, taking out her earrings to put into her jewelry box when Taylor came out of the closet with dirty clothes in her hand, ready to put them into the hamper closer to the door. Jo tried to reach for the zipper of her dress, unable to grasp it on her own.

"Babe, can you unzip me please?" The brunette asked softly, brown eyes searching for Taylor when she looked up.

"Uh-huh," Taylor answered, padding over and carefully pulling down the zipper. She looked at Jo from over her shoulder, their reflections in the mirror above the dresser. Their eyes flickered in sync. For a change Josephine seemed to be the shy half, daring them to move away.