S3 E4

"Never underestimate your enemy," Kreese is lecturing us as we stand around the mat. "Even if you think they're weaker than you, you always have to stay one step ahead of them. That's the only way to guarantee a victory, is that understoood?"

"Yes sensei," we all shout back.

"Good. Now let's see if you truly understand the lesson," he walks up to the plant on top of a piece of wood in the middle of the mat. "I want you to kick this tree off the top." The plant is above Kreese's head when he stands next to it. He looks at Red, "Red you start." Red nods and attempts to kick at the plant, but his pants rip which causes him to fall.

"Wow," I mutter to myself.

Kreese crosses his arms, "Pathetic. Rickenburger, show him." I smile slightly as I watch Rickenburger get into position. He's a good fighter, he should get this.

I'm proved wrong when Rickenburger attempts a flying kick at the plant and ends up on the floor. He whimpers as he tries to get up. Kreese scowls, "Stop your snivelling."

"I can do it, sensei." Hawk stands proudly and smirks.

Kreese looks at him, "Well what are you waiting for?" Hawk looks nervous for maybe half a second before he walks right up to the piece of wood. Kreese tilts his head, "Don't you want a running start?"

"Don't need one," Hawk glances at the plant sitting atop the wood before kicking the base. The plant comes crashing down as the wood falls. He looks at Kreese proudly.

Kreese chuckle, "Not bad. Not bad at all."

Rickenburger looks offended and holds out an arm, "But he cheated."

"No he didn't," Kreese walks up to him. "Unlike you, he did exactly what I asked him to do." He starts to walk around the room, "If your mind is agile so are you. That's the best way to beat your enemy," he makes eye contact with me. I stare back, knowing that looking away would be seen as weakness. I remember what happened, I know that's what he's thinking of. But I won't be beat again so he doesn't have to worry about that. Kreese looks away from me as he continues, "Not just with brute strength. But you have to fight smart. Do that, and you'll always come out on top."

I look over to see Hawk staring at Kreese with this look of awe. Hawk glances at me so I raise my chin, we hold eye contact before refocusing on the lesson. There's no time for romantics right now, my mind is on Cobra Kai and I can't have any distractions. I'm finally getting stronger, and I like it.

~~~

I'm sitting with Cobra Kai at lunch a couple days later. Hawk is doing keep ups with a soccer ball while we watch. The boys are talking about some video game so I'm not really listening. I look around the cafeteria for Sam but I can't find her. We haven't been too close lately, I think she's mad because I stayed with Cobra Kai after what they did to Nate. I don't care, she's going to realize eventually that we did the best thing for him. If Nate doesn't come back from this stronger, then that's on him.

I make eye contact with Moon while I'm looking for Sam. She smiles at me so I wave back. We're still friends, she isn't into the karate drama. It's nice because I need one at least normal friendship. Don't get me wrong, I love the guys at Cobra Kai. We're a family now and I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's different with them because we're all so obsessed with karate.

Demetri looks over at me so I frown before I notice Red. He's walking up to our table with a phone held up in his hand. Hawk smiles at the phone and holds out his arms, "Hey 22 in a row. New record." His back is to me so I don't see his face but I can read his body language. He goes stiff as he catches sight of what probably is Demetri. Their battle has been at an all time high ever since Demetri beat him at the school fight. Hawk grabs his ball quickly before kicking it at Demetri's table. I see that Demetri had one of his lego models on the table, and Hawk's ball completely wrecked it.