"All done!" I exclaim, sitting Mina back up when her pull-up is taped on.

She makes grabby hands at me and I pick her up. Mina wraps her legs around my waist and lays her head on my shoulder. My hands are under her butt as I support her weight. She isn't that heavy at all. When Ella weighed her, she was seventy-eight pounds.

Ella suspects that she had been neglected well before she was kicked out. Mina has long term signs of abuse. Her small stature is one of them. She's only four foot eight. That's way too small for her age.

We're guessing it's because she was starved from early childhood. She's never had proper nutrition. Apparently, Mina just turned eighteen. She refuses to tell us where she used to live so we can contact the police.

Nevertheless, Mina will be taken care of from now on. She won't go hungry and be scared anymore.

I think of that as I stand there swaying the small girl in my arms. She's twirling a piece of my auburn hair around her finger, while sucking on the thumb of her other hand.

"Do you want to lay back down?" I ask, lifting one hand up to smooth the strands of Mina's blonde hair away from her face.

She shakes her head, then lays it back down on my shoulder. I think she likes the rocking motion.

The door creaking open catches my attention and I gesture with my hand for Ella to be quiet. My wife slides into the room, her hands full of shopping bags.

I smile at her and turn my body to the side so she can see Mina's face. Ella's eyes soften when she sees the small girl.

"Hey, sweetheart. I bought some gifts for you." Ella says as she sets the bags down on the bed.

Mina's head lifts and she looks at Ella cautiously, before stretching her arms out to her. My wife's face transforms with shock, but she gently pulls Mina out of my arms.

Mina hasn't really warmed up to Ella yet, so this is a step forward. Ella is two inches taller than me and holds Mina with ease. I walk up to the bed and perch on the edge as I rummage around in the bags.

Ella did a good job at picking what to clothes to buy. There's a large selection of shirts, dresses, and and even some pull-ups. It's sad, but Mina fits in good nights, a brand that's for older toddlers.

She doesn't have any curves to her body. I doubt she would even fit in adult sized clothing. Mina could easily pass off as a child.

I see Mina's eyes widen when I pull out a yellow dress. There's ruffles and a bow that ties in the back.

"Do you want to wear this one?" I ask.

She nods rapidly and wiggles to get down out of Ella's arms. I help her take off the hospital gown she's wearing, trying to ignore the yellowing bruises on her abdomen, then slip the dress over her head.

"So pretty!" Ella coos while grabbing a brush and some detangling spray.

Mina's hair is a mess from being neglected for so long. If we go slow and break her hair into sections, we should be able to detangle it within a timely manner.

"Can Autumn and I work on your hair, babydoll? It won't hurt and we'll be careful." Ella asks after squatting down to Mina's height.

She's changed out of her work clothes and is wearing a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a white t-shirt.

"No owie?" Mina asks with wide eyes.

Ella shakes her head saying, "No more owies. We'll be gentle."

"Okay..." Mina replies a tad bit unsurely.

***

It takes us an hour and a half to detangle Mina's hair. We had to be super careful and stop for multiple breaks. As it turns out, Mina's hair is beautiful. It hangs to the middle of her back and has a soft wavy texture to it.

"So pretty. Do you want to put it in a braid?" I ask.

Mina's sitting in my lap, her back resting on my chest.

"No, piggies." She replies sleepily, a yawn escaping her glossy lips.

Ella bought some chapstick for her and Mina is obsessed with it. She keeps smearing the strawberry chapstick all over her lips every five minutes. I don't have the heart to stop her and neither does my wife.

"Pigtails? Okay, sunshine." I hand over the brush to Ella and she parts Mina's hair down the middle, tying it with a black hair tie.

The look is finished with two yellow bows tied around the pigtails.

"So beautiful!" Ella coos.

She moves cautiously to perch on the bed next to me. Mina reaches over to put her hand in Ella's. I try to stop my smile, but I can't help it. I can tell those two are going to be close.

Let's just hope that Mina is the little girl for us.