Chapter 40

Everyone in the room turns towards her as the tension filled the atmosphere.

Catherine opened her mouth as she starts to tell the story.

---

The Laurier family was blessed with 2 daughters. The eldest, Anna Laurier, and the youngest, Isthia Laurier.

Both siblings were inseparable. Anna was fond and doted on her younger sister, making sure her sister relied on her. She always showed kindness and empathy to others and always prioritizes them instead of herself.

She was selfless.

"Will our dear Isthia become a royal advisor when she grows up?" Their mother asks, patting her daughter's head.

Isthia shook her head and ran towards her sister and hugged her. "I want to be like my sister when I grow up!" She announces with glimmering eyes. Anna could feel herself cry from her sister's declaration.

Isthia always admired her sister and dreamt of becoming like her when she grows up. She would follow her anywhere, mimick her actions, and made sure to always make her proud. To her eyes, Anna was a perfect person.

A person that shined brightly.

A person that everyone admired and loved.

But there was one thing that Anna lacked.

An attribute.

To not have one is an embarrassment to a noble household but despite that, the Laurier couple still loved their eldest.

Isthia on the other hand possessed the lightning attribute. But young Isthia was innocent to the minds of the adults. Her thoughts simply revolved around her family and the never-ending happiness and kindness they showed.

She had yet to understand the importance of what she possessed.

But as time passed, Isthia became aware.

Aware of the adults' minds.

The way others treated her differently compared to her sister. The way nobles would simply greet Anna and proceed to make conversation with Isthia instead.

How they gazed at the youngest Laurier with interest.

Attending her classes, she made sure to receive the highest score there was and was delighted with the number of praises that escaped the lips of the esteemed professors.

Isthia watched and saw how Anna fared with her classes. She was the eldest yet she had difficulties in understanding her lessons.

She was late to catch up and showed little to no improvements. Lecturers would sigh in disappointment at her results and compare her to the youngest.

For the first time, Isthia thought Anna looked pitiful.

"I heard Isthia is amazing in her class! Big sister is very proud of you!" Anna exclaims as she stroke her younger sister's head. Isthia noticed the redness underneath her sister's eyes.

She could only gaze at her sister and realize that she could be more than her.

Realizing this, her thoughts changed. Her innocent eyes that admired her sister grew cold and became obsessed with showing her qualifications.