Chapter 30

The maids flinched as the sound of the vase shattering echoed within the room.

"THOSE USELESS PAWNS!"

Everyone remained silent at the outburst. The head of the mansion continuously destroyed the room, venting her fury towards the objects.

At that moment a knock halted the head's rage making her glance at the door.

She gives her permission for the person to enter and here another maid was shaking as she entered the room.

On both of her hands laid a letter. Trembling, the maid spoke. "Y-You have a message from the client M-Ma'am..." She stammered.

The madame strode towards the maid and took the letter. She pried it open and read its content.

Veins can be seen on her forehead as she grits her teeth. "Did the messenger leave?" She asks in a sudden calm tone.

"Y-yes.."

That was all it took for the madame to raise her hand.

A loud slap can be heard.

The maid trembled as she looked up and realized the head maid had pulled her and taken the hit instead.

The head maid was silent as she gazed at the floor and slightly bowed. "How would you like to deal with the messenger madame?"

"Bring the messenger back and tell him to deliver our reply." She spoke in an authoritative tone. The madame was about to order everyone in the room to leave when another knock can be heard.

"Enter."

Her daughter opened the door and saw the mess the room was. She kept her fear to herself and remained unfazed.

"Mother, I wish to ask for your permission." Her daughter spoke.

"And that would be?"

"The library in town. I wish to study in a different environment."

The mother strode towards her daughter and grabbed her shoulder. With her tightened grip, the daughter did her best not to flinch at the pain and bear it.

"You are not allowed to leave the house! I forbid you!" The mother looked at her daughter with enraged eyes. She removed her hold on the shoulder and gazed down at her daughter.

"You are not allowed to ask me again. Am I clear?" She turns towards the head maid. "Bring Amelie to her room." She turns her back and strode towards the chair. She took her seat and rubbed her temple to ease her headache.

Everyone was silent as they finally resumed their job.

Amelie kept a downcasted gaze as she followed after the maid.

Their walk was silent. Neither one of them pried their mouth open to speak.

Unknown to most, this was a common occurrence inside the household. If the madame was upset, everyone already held expectations of what will happen and remained silent.

Arriving in front of the room, the head maid opened the door for Amelie and stood on the side for her to enter.

The blond stepped inside her room and sat on her couch. A sigh escapes her lips while a frown took place on her face.

The maid glanced towards the teen and opened her mouth to speak.

But words stuck on her throat as memories flooded her mind. She closes her mouth and looked away.