Seventh Year - Chapter 35

"He is dead," Voldemort called out with twisted delight. "From this day forward, you put your faith in me. Harry Potter is dead!"

All the Death Eaters behind him erupted into laughter. You all stood there in discomfort while you watched. You couldn't tear your eyes away from Harry's body. It was still dark outside as the hours of early morning slowly crept along but you could all see Voldemort parading himself around anyway. He faced you all again.

"And now is the time to join us. Or die."

"Draco," Lucius called.

Heads turned towards your cousin. Draco's parents kept calling him over as if he was a small child again. Bellatrix waited with a triumphant smile on her face. For a moment, Draco shifted in his spot and you all thought he would move. Your cousin rolled up his sleeves to show a lack of a dark mark before grabbing your hand. His father's smile turned to a deep frown. Voldemort sneered before moving away like he didn't really care if Draco had joined him or not. You reached out to Neville as he began to hobble forward. He shook your hand off and continued, not caring that the Death Eaters were laughing at him. Voldemort laughed too before smiling.

"I must say I hoped for better but... Who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom." That earned another set of laughter.

"Well, Neville. I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks—"

"I'd like to say something!"

Voldemort clenched a fist at the mere thought of someone trying to upstage his moment. He lowered his hand and decided to give Neville the floor— he could share a few minutes of his victory with a new recruit.

"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone—"

"Stand down, Neville," Seamus tried to call out.

"People die every day! Our friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry but he didn't die in vain. Neither did the others. We keep fighting!" He turned to Voldemort. "And you will die!"

You heard the sound of metal as Neville pulled the sword of Gryffindor from the Sorting Hat that he was still clutching in his hands. There was little time to react as Harry suddenly dropped from Hagrid's arms, using your wand to cast a spell. All the Death Eaters gasped in outrage while your side did the same but in happiness. Your smile took up your whole face because your senses were right. You don't know how but they were right. The black smoke erupted again as Death Eaters turned into the columns to descend on you all once more. You and the others began to run inside, being ushered in by remaining members of the Order who tried to put up more protective spells as quickly as possible.

"We need to kill the snake," Harry said as he ran to you, Hermione, and Ron.

He ran off to another part of the castle covered in debris as if that alone would drive Voldemort and his followers away from all of you and towards just him. Ron and Hermione left to follow as you ran back inside. The Great Hall became a battlefield once again as people tried to duel around the dead. You ran to try and grab those that were severely injured before they could get hit in the crossfire. You, Draco, George, and Ginny worked overtime to lead them somewhere safe. It was only possible to get one at a time without being noticed. You went back to grab Dennis Creevey, still in shock at the loss of his brother Colin. You were trying to pull him away. His parents were muggles who already didn't know how bad the situation was. Both boys had snuck back to join the fight after getting the call from the Dumbledore's Army galleons. The Creeveys already lost one son and you didn't want them to lose another. You froze as you heard the word Crucio.