Third Year - Chapter 5

You listened to Neville prattle on about the new painting that was replacing the Fat Lady. The two of you were in the Herbology classroom, earlier than everyone else. You chuckled as you replaced the soil of the old wiggentree that you had been tending to. The tree had gotten better under your care.

"It's absolutely ridiculous," Neville complained. "He changes the password almost every hour."

"Well, if you're ever shut out then come down to my House's common room. I'll let you in."

Neville gave you a small thanks but went right back to his complaining. The two of you only shut up when Professor Sprout and the other students walked into the classroom. Herbology, unlike Care of Magical Creatures, got more interesting as the school year seemed to go on. It was only a few days after Halloween and you were sure there was plenty of time left for the class to become a chore. But currently, you were enjoying it.

It wasn't that you weren't enjoying Care of Magical Creatures but after the incident with Malfoy, Hagrid became unsure of his own teaching abilities. He began to stick to more textbook teachings and uninteresting creatures. Even after your cousin agreed to lay off the jokes about Hagrid— at least in the half-giant's presence— it didn't boost Hagrid's confidence much. Either way, both of those classes were your favorite no matter how much they kept your interest. Both Hagrid and Professor Sprout said you had a talent for creatures and plants.

The day you got those compliments was the day you focused even more on those classes. It was only your first year at Hogwarts and you were only a third year but you began to seriously think about your future. For the longest, as a Squib, you accepted that you would eventually either leave the wizarding world to live a muggle life and have a muggle job. Or, you could get a job in Diagon Alley or any restaurant really as a waitress.

Neither option was exactly what you wanted— muggle job or waitressing— but for the longest you didn't believe that you had many options. Professor Sprout and Hagrid gave you a new outlook. Currently, you were more focused on the plants but as the weather warmed up again you decided you would take that time to look at creatures. You could always do what they did. Or maybe run a plant shop. That idea tickled you very much.

You began to envision a plant shop in Diagon Alley. If it lived long enough, you would keep the old wiggentree in the display case at the front of the shop. The thought made you smile so much the entire day that you didn't notice, as you sat down next to Hermione, that Professor Lupin was missing. Only when you opened your book and looked up did you see Professor Snape in front of you. You had a note from Professor Flitwick on why you were late— not that you would have to even show it if it was Professor Lupin. As you dug around your bag for the note, Snape stepped right in front of you and Hermione's desk. He didn't wait for your note or even seemed interested in it. Instead, your wand was placed on your desk, rolling towards you rather lazily.

"You would do well to keep better track of your wand, Ms. Black. And if you got here on time then you would see that we are on page three hundred and ninety-four... two points from Hufflepuff."

You rubbed at your temples. Draco, who was sitting behind you, tapped your shoulder. He wore an apologetic look on his face when you turned around.

"Don't feel bad, he's usually worse than that."

"I'm only mildly intolerable, then. That makes me feel loads better, Draco."

He silently laughed. "That's pretty good for anyone not in Slytherin."

You gave your cousin a playful pinch on his hand but also smiled before turning back around. You were shocked when you turned to the correct page to see werewolves. Even Hermione was confused, voicing that much to Professor Snape. But the professor didn't seem to care too much and began his lesson anyway. If you thought Professor Snape was bad in Potions then he was down right awful as a teacher of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Every question he asked was meant to confuse you all. Any time Hermione raised her hand, he blatantly ignored her until she got so fed up she answered anyway.