Fourth Year - Chapter 20

Sirius pulled you out of school. Students said they could hear him yelling at Rita Skeeter and the other professors— mainly Dumbledore— for what was published in Witch Weekly as they walked by Professor Sprout's office. It wasn't a game to him. You being a squib at a school for magic was already a lot of pressure. Sirius wasn't going to let bullying for being a banshee continue to happen as well. The few times they had ever been on the same page was when Snape spoke up after Sirius began to pace around the room, stating that he did believe Rita had gone too far which enabled the other students. Professor Sprout noted that you had been helping less and less with the younger students but she had just assumed it was the workload of other classes. Flitwick mentioned missing your cheeriness in class even when you couldn't get a spell.

Other professors, including Moody, felt that Sirius was making a mistake. They felt that despite the challenges of being a squib, you were making remarkable progress in certain fields at Hogwarts. To pull you out would be detrimental to said progress. Sirius stopped pacing and stood in the middle of the room.

"Well, Potter has just about as much written about him. Worse, in fact. So have the other champions, she'll be fine. Just let the competition blow over," Moody defended.

The professors that agreed with him— and Rita— nodded their heads ferociously. Sirius' jaw clenched.

"My daughter is not Harry Potter, she's not a tournament champion. This— being a squib and a banshee— will continue to follow her. Especially the banshee. She doesn't need to be at Hogwarts!"

"Mr. Black, (Y/N) has been such a joy to this castle," McGonagall tried to reason. "We would love to contin—"

"Then fix it. Right now, she's going home. If it's not fixed, we might be moving."

"Where will you go?"

"Her mother is an alumni of Beauxbatons, (Y/N) has made friends with students from Ilvermorny and Uagadou. We'll find some place."

Sirius left with the threat still hanging in the air. It became apparent by the fifth day that he meant it. You hadn't come back. The younger students that loved Herbology were wondering where you had gone. The Alchemy classroom felt the harsh reminder every time they looked over to see your molten salts still over flame on the windowsill. Professor Flamel said it was a shame that you were pushed too far because he truly thought you might be the next brilliant alchemist the wizarding world got to see. Potions felt it the most. The class just felt too empty. If you weren't joking around with them, they could always count on hearing noises coming from the back of the classroom as you brewed whatever you chose to work on. Snape was so used to calling on you that he made the mistake of calling your name several times in the first week.

Cedric and Neville took over your plants. Neville made sure they weren't dying in the greenhouse without you to tend to them. You had left without putting any spells on them and Neville couldn't bring himself to do it because it felt like solidifying that you weren't coming back. So he manually tended to the plants every few days. You gave Cedric the key to the store when you were packing up your trunks. He started going there every weekend. It became the new place for him and his friends to study. The wiggentree was no longer the only decor. He hung up the sketches you had done of your store around the walls.

Draco became rowdy once again, some would argue worse than before. But not towards his usual targets. He actually laid off people like Neville, Hermione, and Harry. Anyone who said a thing about squibs or even tried to mimic a banshee scream and he threatened to hex them into next week. He began having Thursday tea with Kreacher but it didn't feel the same. Even when Dobby started sitting with them in the kitchens, making peace with Draco for how his family— Lucius— treated him, it still didn't make a difference. Thursday tea was just not the same.