Seventh Year - Chapter 31

Andromeda threw down the newspaper at the breakfast table. You pulled it close to you to read the headline. Another muggle family had been killed. Remus took the paper from you when you had finished, checking that it wasn't an attack near your house. Tonks was having a bit too much fun making the butter float over your head where you couldn't reach. You pulled out your wand and pointed at her, making the two of you laugh. Remus finished and turned the paper to his wife— they got married quietly with just you and Andromeda as witnesses.

"Mother, I don't think you and (Y/N) should go out alone anymore," Tonks said as she looked at the paper.

"What? Because of a paper?"

"Because this is the third killing this week. You're elderly and (Y/N) is a squib, it's too dangerous."

"I agree with Tonks," you said as you finished your toast. "Besides, Harry's coming tonight. We have no need to leave anyway."

Andromeda reluctantly agreed. You were more excited than you should have been. It was a long summer where you couldn't even write to Harry. The enchanted mirrors hadn't been picked up because you both were still underage and worried that even using them might put him in danger with the Ministry tracking the Trace on him. You didn't know what he had been doing all summer but you knew that you were learning more about the Hallows whose full name you learned was the Deathly Hallows. You had also been preparing for Hogwarts. You weren't going back as a student at all but as faculty. There was nothing else for you to learn there anyway. Nothing that you could actually use because you either knew it or didn't have enough magic to attempt it. You were going to help McGonagall watch over everybody. You wanted to form a connection to each student there so you could easily keep track of them with your dark senses.

Remus and Tonks left as night fell to join the rest of the Order. You and Andromeda were waiting in the living room. A chill ran down your spine as you heard the hoot of an owl. Whatever plan the Order had, it went south very quickly because you were positive that you just heard Hedwig's final sound. That made you more nervous as you got up from the couch to pace. Kreacher couldn't calm either one of you. You heard a crashing sound, only realizing it wasn't from your dark senses when Andromeda jumped up. You both ran towards the door.

Throwing it open, you could see the scrap of metal that used to be Hagrid's motorbike. The large half-giant was in the middle of the road. Andromeda ran as fast as she could to get to Hagrid, pointing her wand and muttering a bunch of spells. You saw Harry lying there and struggled to drag him into the house. When Andromeda fixed Hagrid up, she came back in to fix Harry. He was missing teeth, had a broken arm, and had broken some ribs. Harry slowly came to his senses.

"What happened?" he asked no one in particular.

You grabbed him a water and held it to his lips. "You and Hagrid crashed."

"There were Death Eaters everywhere."

Andromeda checked on Hagrid. "Good to know the protections around Grimmauld work, then. They can't get within a hundred yards of here."

"Can you stand, Harry?" you asked him.

He nodded. "Moody said we aren't staying here?"

"The Burrow is better, farther away from muggles. If the Death Eaters get in, it's a better place to fight. But you needed to be safe first. The portkey is in the kitchen... I sensed what happened to Hedwig."

Tears slipped from Harry's eyes. You wiped at the tears and murmured apologies. You understood. If something happened to Padfoot, you would lose yourself completely. When he was good to go, the two of you walked to the kitchen and grabbed the portkey. You heard the sharp squeals of Mrs. Weasley and Ginny as you two landed in the Burrow garden. They ran to hug you two, letting you know that no one else had shown up yet. If it wasn't for the fact that you hadn't sensed anything, you would panic. Mrs. Weasley only seemed to calm down when she noticed that you were fine. You suddenly clutched your left ear and doubled over in pain.