Fourth Year - Chapter 17

You and Kreacher worked for days to change your dress. You went with the option that was technically your first choice before you switched to choice three because it worked with Roger Davies being in Ravenclaw. The entire outfit, accessories, and makeup was finished on Christmas Eve. You were passed out on your bed and slept so hard that you thought you missed Christmas breakfast in the morning. Padfoot's meowing in demand for food assured you that you did. It was lunch when you left your room.

Like all the other students, you were in pajamas as you made your way to the Great Hall. The castle was beautiful, decorated for both the Yule Ball and the holidays. You sat at the Hufflepuff table first. Cedric gave you a smile and went to move from where his friends were surrounding him but you shook your head and mouthed that he should enjoy his friends. Besides, you were only getting a plate and then moving to Gryffindor. Susan handed you the plate of French toast with jam.

"Where were you last night? You missed the last day of Hanukkah party, Professor Dumbledore enlarged a dreidel to the size of Justin."

"Sorry, I was working on my dress. I just fell right asleep after."

"Well, I saved you a menorah cookie."

"Thanks, Susan. Happy late Hanukkah to you."

She handed you the cookie. "And Happy Christmas to you."

You sat with your full plate next to Hermione at the Gryffindor table. Ron poured some pumpkin juice into your goblet.

"Are you sure you're going home, (Y/N/N)?" Ron asked. "You really don't want to stay for the Ball? It's not as fun if it's not the four of us. Mum said she's got a dress to spare if you don't want to use the Roger Davies one."

"I'm not going home anymore. And tell Mrs. Weasley thanks but I have another dress. Dad sent me all of my mum's old ones."

"You're not going home? This is great!" Hermione said. "I thought it would just be Ginny and I getting ready. We have to do your hair and makeup! What does your dress look like? We're going to show all those boys they should've wanted to be your date. Please say you want to get ready with us."

You chuckled and took a sip of your pumpkin juice. "My dress is pink and of course I'm getting ready with the two of you. Do I have any other girl friends I'm closer to than you?"

Hermione clapped and gave a satisfied nod. "Bring your camera, we should take a picture. That'll show everyone, especially Rita Skeeter. She'll drop dead when she sees you showed up to the dance no matter what she said."

Harry and Ron echoed her sentiments. Ron took a swig of his water.

"And we won't leave you out, right guys? We'll all save a dance for you."

"Actually, you guys don't have to do that. I, uh, have a date."

"You got a date and didn't tell us! Who is it?"

"Can I just keep it a surprise, I'm kind of worried he might bail out."

The three of them agreed right away. They would say that you could always tell them and it would be stupid for someone to bail. But after Roger Davies, they understood why you were being a little cautious. The entire castle was exchanging gifts after lunch. Even the gifts from the penpals you made at the Quidditch World Cup had gotten their gifts sent in time. You had sent a box of Honeydukes' sweets and some of the prototype Fred and George were making for their joke shop. In return, you had gotten snacks as well and some seeds for an aloe-type plant whose gel had the same potion properties as wolfsbane.