Fifth Year - Chapter 23

No one disturbed you in the morning as they entered the Hufflepuff common room where you were getting started on your large project. The first step and your first essays for most of your classes was the study behind magic. Once you felt like you had enough knowledge then you would move to the next phase. None of your teachers were phased when you did the same thing in their classes. Aside from the few classes that weren't underneath your project, you sat at a table in the corner and did your own work.

You only paid attention in Charms because you liked Professor Flitwick and Care of Magical Creatures because even without Hagrid it was a relaxing class for you. Professor Grubbly-Plank led you all to right outside Hagrid's hut. She waited for the Slytherin and Ravenclaw fifth years to make their way down the hill. Draco stood next to you, asking if you were okay after the howler incident. He stood protectively close with his arms crossed as if he didn't fully believe you when you said yes. Grubbly-Plank walked around the table she had set up in front of Hagrid's hut to show off what looked to be a bunch of little green twigs.

"Does anyone know what these are?"

Hermione's hand shot up. You knew too but there was no point when you couldn't talk and didn't want to write. Grubbly-Plank gave her five points when she correctly answered that they were bowtruckles. You had been waiting for bowtruckles to live in your wiggentree but they hadn't arrived in the two— now three— years that you had been growing it. You figured they still weren't sure if the wiggentree was healthy enough for them to inhabit. The professor handed out some wood-lice and told everyone they could feed the bowtruckles. She also expected a proper sketch with their anatomy before the end of class.

Students took the parchment and colorful ink that was also on the table and spread out on the grass around the hut. You placed your bowtruckle on the top of your knee as you sketched it. It munched happily on the wood-lice and looked at your sketch every now and then. When you finished, it crawled onto your parchment and nodded in approval, the leaf at the top of its head bobbing away. You turned in the sketch to Grubbly-Plank. She approved of it and took the bowtruckle back. You fed it one more woodlouse and waved a small good-bye. As much as you loved Hagrid, Grubbly-Plank had some very interesting and cute creatures for her classes. However, you did want the half-giant to return as soon as possible. You would have left early after turning in your sketch but you had detention with Umbridge afterwards and since Harry did too, you figured you would wait for him.

"You shouldn't even be here," Harry said. "She's the one who spelled you, none of it is your fault."

You gave him a smile of thanks. Harry knocked on the door and you both frowned at the voice telling you to come in. The first thing you noticed was that Umbridge's office was pink. You had read that pink was a calming color once, you even agreed to some extent. But that woman's office was anything but calming. It actually made you want to throw up. It was almost incredible how she could make the color so hideous. Professor Umbridge motioned for you both to sit down. You looked at the piece of parchment in front of you. She handed you both quills, requesting that you don't use your own.

"For you, Mr. Potter, I must not tell lies. And Ms. Black, I will not cause disturbances."

You just pulled the paper closer, not wanting to get on her bad side any more. Harry asked how many lines and she simply said until it sank in— you wondered if she was going to hold you hostage the entire night. She'd have to let you go at some point. Especially you. Your House was having Puff Pride tonight. It was the first Friday of being at school and the prefects wanted to hold something special for everyone. You were supposed to be in charge of raiding the kitchens with Jeannie because the house-elves liked you two the best. Your lines were simple enough. Dumb because she's the reason you screamed in the first place but still simple.