Third Year - Chapter 1

You sighed as you watched a cloud float through the sky. The grass was soft under your fingertips. You liked that— Mr. Stapius always kept the grass soft and green, even in winter. He did it because he knew you liked it that way. Ever since you had come to the orphanage for wayward witches and wizards, he had started keeping the grass because you were the only child constantly in the back garden. A small smile graced your face as a piece of cake floated to you— the fork and a glass of pumpkin juice floated towards you.

"Happy Birthday, (Y/N)!" Poppy called out from the doorway. "I'm sorry I can't stay."

You shook your head. "Don't worry, it's alright. You better hurry before you miss the train!"

Poppy gave you a large smile before turning back inside, her Slytherin robe flopping behind her. You squinted when the flash of her prefect badge momentarily blinded you. You took a bite of the cake, smiling wide at the taste. Poppy had a way around the kitchen. She really did mean to stay; but, after making prefect, she was required to show up to the Hogwarts Express earlier than other students.

You sighed with each bite of cake after the initial one. It was another year that all the children in the orphanage went to Hogwarts or maybe even another school far away. You were left alone for the third year in a row. Being the only squib at Mr. Stapius' House meant that every school year you learned in books at home and not at school. Ever the gentleman, Mr. Stapius bought all the wizarding books he could find every time he went to Diagon Alley. He would always tell you how it wasn't fair to you and that squibs should be allowed to attend school even without much magic. You appreciated the gesture.

With the cake finished, you set the plate on the grass. In one large gulp, you swallowed all the pumpkin juice and then went back to laying down in the grass. A meow garnered your attention. You sat back up, tucking your legs underneath you. A tabby cat meowed once again and you chuckled.

"Yes, I am (Y/N) Black. Although I'm not sure why a cat needs to know that."

The cat's eyes widened and it picked up a letter that had been hidden in the dirt and dropped it in your lap. You turned the letter over to see your name and Mr. Stapius' address sprawled across the front. The paper was easily torn through as you pulled out the letter. Your eyes scanned over the words not believing what you were seeing.

"This is impossible... I'm going... I'm going—"

"To Hogwarts, yes child."

You looked up abruptly from the letter. Instead of the tabby cat, you were now greeted by an old woman with beautiful green robes and a very large pointed hat. She pulled out her wand, waving it to make your dishes disappear. As she looked down at you through her glasses, she stuck out a hand.

"Professor Minerva McGonagall. Your transfiguration teacher of transfiguration and fairly surprised that you seem to speak cat."

You took her hand to pull yourself up. "I've had plenty of time to learn how to speak to animals... It's kind of the only magic I can really do."

"Well, Hagrid will be excited to have a student such as you. We must be quick. You still need your supplies and the other students are already on their way to school... Have you ever apparated before?"

"Twice."

You barely finished the word before you were immediately pulled into thin air. Diagon Alley was a bustling place. Professor McGonagall barely gave you enough time to look around as she wandered from store to store. The old woman bought you whatever she deemed necessary, not minding your protests about how much money it was costing.