Third Year - Chapter 7

The little shopping town near the Diggory's was very quaint. You weren't sure if you liked it more or less than Diagon Alley. You and Cedric took your time with shopping. He finished before you considering he was only looking at presents for you and his parents. Your list was considerably longer. Cedric, his parents needed a housewarming gift for letting you stay over, Mr. Stapius, Poppy, Draco and his mother, Kreacher, your cat, Professor Lupin, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville. Aside from splitting up to get each other's gift, you and Cedric were together the entire day. The two of you carried your bags into a pub— Cedric not allowed to send the gifts because it would be considered unsupervised underage magic outside of school. Even though it was winter, the two of you ordered frozen butterbeers to go with your meals.

"I'm surprised you don't have a girlfriend," you said as you took a sip of butterbeer. "Or boyfriend if that's who you're into."

Cedric began choking on his meal. "You're asking this suddenly?"

"I'm just wondering how you aren't dating when everyone loves you, seriously. Half of the student population swoons every time you walk into a room. It's impossible not to notice."

"Really?"

You blinked twice. "Cedric, are you joking? Do you not see it? Blimey, you really don't. Everyone thinks you're hot, even I think you're attractive... forget I just said that."

You sipped on the butterbeer while the older boy chuckled. He asked really once again as if he didn't believe any of what you said. You nodded your head and set the glass down.

"I'm thirteen and you're a sixteen year old boy who looks like he stepped out of a muggle romance novel. Of course I, and the whole school, think you're attractive."

A smile formed on his face. "I guess I've been a bit daft then. Maybe I should ask someone out?"

"Don't advertise it, otherwise everyone will be lining up to get a date with you."

"Hmm, maybe next year. I think I should focus on school," he made up the excuse.

You rolled your eyes but didn't say anything else. The two of you finished and went back to the Diggory House. Cedric's parents helped you send your presents to everyone— you only kept Kreacher's gift since you expected the house elf to show up tomorrow. The Diggory house was very quiet that night. You all seemed to want to go to bed early and enjoy a festive day tomorrow. For once, Padfoot was the first one awake in the house. He stretched on your pillow, smacked you in the face, and seemed very satisfied with himself when you woke up abruptly.

You yawned and mumbled complaints as you followed Padfoot down the stairs. He didn't care much. In fact, the cat was only concerned with you dropping food into his dish and refilling his bowl with water. Since you were already up, you rifled through the cabinets to pull out ingredients. Just as you opened the bag of flour, you heard a set of footsteps rushing down the stairs. Cedric swooped around the corner and grabbed the bag from your hand before you could pour it into the large mixing bowl.

"Give it back," you protested.

"My house, I cook, not the guest."

"I want to help. It's Christmas."

"Hmmm, you can cut up the fruit."

You sat at the table, cutting up fruit, while Cedric began to make morning buns. Mr. and Mrs. Diggory came downstairs shortly after— Mr. Diggory stealing some of the recently cut up fruit. Breakfast was a sweet affair. You and the Diggory's were laughing between bites of food. Padfoot acted cute in order to get Mrs. Diggory to drop pieces of her breakfast sausage on the floor— everyone chuckled when you told Padfoot that he was being a conman acting like you didn't just feed him.