Third Year - Chapter 6

Keeping a mandrake leaf under your tongue for a whole month was proving more difficult than you thought. The first day after McGonagall gave it to you, you went to lunch and almost choked on your drink as you tried to make sure the leaf stayed under your tongue. When Cedric asked what was going on, you proudly lifted up your tongue to everyone. The Ravenclaw girl— Delta— dropped her fork.

"You're becoming an Animagus? Blimey, that's incredible."

The older kids began gushing about the thought of you being an Animagus. You smiled as you took another sip of your water, finally managing to learn how to not choke. For the first time since being at Hogwarts, you felt just like one of the other students. Not a squib, not someone who was barely passing classes that involved practical magic. A real witch.

Professor McGonagall couldn't stop talking about it to all of the faculty at the professors' table during lunch. Without you knowing it, you became the most talked about student amongst them. Even Snape was impressed. For the entire first week, all the faculty tried to find you and ask about the leaf— you proudly showed every single time. Professor Lupin wouldn't tell you why he was so amused but didn't hesitate to let you know that he was proud of you.

You had slowly been working on first year spells with Hermione. Much like everything else, you weren't having a lot of luck. You and Hermione had been practicing for two weeks straight every single day after classes ended— sometimes showing up to dinner late. You had finally gotten one spell, running out of the Gryffindor common room at lightning speed to find Professor Flitwick.

All the professors were already at the table, barely any students had made their way down yet. You couldn't contain your excitement as you bounced on the balls of your feet in front of where Professor Flitwick was. All the professors watched as you held up the glass that you grabbed from the Hufflepuff table and threw it to the ground, shattering it into several pieces.

"Watch... Reparo."

The glass fixed itself and came to rest on the table in front of the professor. You grabbed a pitcher of water and began to pour.

"There are still cracks but they don't leak, see. I just don't know how to make it look like a pretty glass again but it's functional. Hermione has been helping me. Bless her, she puts off doing her homework for an entire hour which if you know Hermione is like asking her to give up her left arm. I finally did it."

"Well done, Ms. Black," Professor Flitwick praised you.

"This is truly a joyous occasion, well done, Ms. Black." Dumbledore gave you a small round of applause.

The other professors gave little claps as well. They watched as you left the table with the glass in your hand and down to the students. The adults couldn't help but smile as they watched you walk from each table to show off your glass to your cousin and your friends. If it was possible for you to smile wider, it would have been when Draco emptied the water from the glass and poured pumpkin juice in it. He drank from it before complimenting you on a working— albeit not the prettiest looking— drinking glass. You took the cup back and showed it off to Neville, Ron, Hermione, and Harry before going back to the Hufflepuff table. Cedric also spewed out compliments before sighing and looking at his textbook.

"Is something wrong?" you asked. Cedric never looked at textbooks during meals.

"Professor Sprout assigned us essays to turn in for winter exams, everyone gets a plant and has to write about it. The catch is we have to also write about a potential new use for the plant and she's given me fluxweed. Fluxweed! What am I meant to do with that? I still have three more rolls I'm supposed to complete."