Fifth Year - Chapter 22

Walking downstairs late in the afternoon for some water after taking your medicine, you froze when you saw Harry in the hallway bathroom. He met you halfway as you ran to hug him. The paper had come out the other day about a trial because he performed the Patronus Charm outside of school and you all were worried about the verdict. You practically crushed him in your arms before pulling away.

"(Y/N), you're back. How are you... still can't speak?"

You led Harry into the kitchen and ditched your water for some hot chocolate, brewing up a cup for him as well. Harry complained that your letters were the only ones he had been receiving after the first two weeks of summer. He felt like everyone was hiding something from him and it was confirmed when he finally came to Grimmauld to see everyone there. Because you were stuck at St. Mungo's and needed someone, they never interfered with your letters but Dumbledore didn't want to risk compromising Harry or anyone in the Order. After the dementor attack, he figured Harry was safer with everyone else. You walked into the living room, pointing to Harry and then standing with your hands on your hips.

"We didn't want to wake you when he arrived, Poppet. You're still in recovery. His screaming at everyone this morning wasn't enough to get you up, I told everyone else not to bother and let you sleep the day away," Sirius answered right away while the others were trying to figure out how he even understood the charades you were doing.

With the Order around, you'd have to start carrying your board around the house if you wanted to be understood. You went upstairs to get the board before dinner started. You had never seen the dining room table so crowded. It was always just you, Sirius, and Kreacher— and occasionally Remus. Tonks, who you really started to like, was making funny faces at the table. You'd never met a Metamorphagus before and she seemed more than willing to give herself a duck bill or pig snout for you and Ginny's amusement. Sirius just seemed to enjoy that the only living members of the Black family would all be considered absolute disgraces to his mother— he refused to ever acknowledge Bellatrix and as far he was concerned Narcissa and Draco were little spies in their own way.

Tonks said that her mother was ecstatic that Sirius, her favorite little cousin, was free and insisted on coming over for Christmas. Of course he agreed. Grimmauld was being run by the most hated of the Black family— he offered Andromeda a room at Grimmauld if she wanted it. She stated she was alright especially since Tonks was staying there, she didn't want her daughter to feel like she was hovering. But she promised to frequently come over— especially since you existed and she needed to meet you. You were positive you caught your Uncle Remus looking at Tonks as well but couldn't be sure. You didn't mind— he'd actually be a part of the family for real if he was interested in her.

Fred and George were still antagonizing their mother. They insisted that because they were of age they should join the Order and get to know the secrets. Mrs. Weasley was telling them absolutely not and didn't seem like she was budging any time soon. You slid your board to your dad.

But what is the Order? What are you guys doing?

Mrs. Weasley slapped her hand down on the board. "Absolutely not Sirius, they're too young."

"They're not children, Molly."

"They aren't adults!"

"No!"

Everyone got quiet when your voice broke through. It sounded so gravelly they almost weren't sure it was a human sound for a moment. The focus went to you when they noticed you hadn't been yelling at Mrs. Weasley or Sirius. You weren't even looking at any of them. You were staring at a spot on the table. Your left hand flew up to your neck. Your eyes squeezed shut and no one's words were getting through to you.