Fourth Year - Chapter 16

Cedric had no more luck with the clue, telling you such, the next morning as you two walked to the Great Hall for breakfast. You went your separate ways so you could sit at the Gryffindor table. Owls came in as breakfast started. Almost every student looked a bit confused as all the owls seemed to be dropping off either thick letters or full on packages. Your owl came by with a little box. You opened it to find a box full of what looked like very elegant doll clothing. There was a letter with it.

Poppet,

I went back to our old house. Surprisingly no one lives there, not even muggles, it's amazing. Your mum had these still there. You don't have to pick these but I thought it might make your shopping easier. Kreacher can unshrink them when you choose. I thought it was better than sending them full-sized. Love you.

Dad

You were more confused at the letter than the tiny box of doll clothes. Your confusion didn't last long because it was replaced with laughter as Ron made a sound of absolute disgust. His package brought the ugliest patterned cloak you had ever seen. He went over to Ginny who claimed that their mom couldn't have possibly meant that to be for her. Hermione reached into the box and pulled out a card.

"Ronald! They're meant for you," her giggling made the whole Gryffindor table laugh even harder. "They're dress robes."

Ron balled up the fabric and threw it back in the box. "Dress robes? Dress robes for what?"

You stood up from the table. "Well, let me know when you figure it out but I've got Potions class to attend."

Harry looked up from his cereal. "You normally go back to your common room."

"We're brewing the potion today and I'm going to set up the classroom early."

"Do you want me to walk with you?"

You had to tell yourself to not smile too widely. Harry was just walking you to class the same way he always did. It was just a different location he was walking you from. He didn't actually wait for you to answer, getting up from the table to walk with you. You bid your goodbyes and told him you would see him in Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Harry was shocked to see you in Transfiguration about halfway through the class instead of in Potions. You were confused at seeing all of Gryffindor there and the Transfiguration classroom empty of chairs and desks. Professor McGonagall extended a hand to you.

"Oh good, Ms. Black, you're here."

"Sorry, Professor Snape sai— I had to finish the felix felicis lesson, the brewing was today."

"Right. Hufflepuff's time doesn't work with your schedule— your classes make it kind of hard, so I offered to take you with the Gryffindors, now hurry and sit."

You took a seat next to Hermione and Pavarti, noting that girls and boys were on benches on opposite sides of the room.

"You all will notice the schedule changes for the next few weeks. That is because we have a special event. Between the first and second task is the most exciting Yule Ball! Not only is it tradition but it's a chance for you students to properly socialize with our foreign friends. The Ball is open to fourth years and above however, you are allowed to take a younger student as a date. Your parents are all aware that if you are going home for Christmas it won't be till late. The ball starts at eight and ends a bit past midnight."

Mr. Filch came in with a very large record player. He fiddled with it while McGonagall kept giving instructions. You knew that Gryffindors were rowdy but she spent more time scolding them than actually explaining the Yule Ball. Hufflepuff was definitely a more chill and quiet scene. After telling them all that she will not tolerate silly behavior because you were meant to be dignified students and not a band of babbling baboons, McGonagall asked for volunteers. No one raised a hand. She looked around the room.