Third Year - Chapter 9

"Don't kill him. You'll go to Azkaban for a real crime this time."

That made Sirius pause. He returned the wand to Remus, keeping a tight grip on Peter. Not heeding Sirius' advice, Pettigrew began sputtering thanks to Harry. The boy shook his head.

"We aren't letting you go. You should take his place, go to Azkaban for what you did to my parents. Let the Ministry and the dementors decide what to do with you."

Your dad chuckled, gravelly with all sweetness missing. "You are Lily Evans' son alright... try transforming back into a rat before we hand you over, Wormtail, and I'll kill you. Forget Harry's kindness."

The man swallowed hard and nodded. Lupin performed spells to tie up Peter and Snape before mending Ron's leg to the best of his ability. Your father apologized to Ron, insisting that he was aiming for the rat. Ron tried to brush it off like it was nothing— more for your sake than anything really. You all made your way back up the tunnel. Lupin held on to Peter, Ron leaned on Harry for support. Hermione carried Crookshanks back and occasionally checked behind her to make sure the floating Professor Snape who was still knocked out was in fact behind you all. You and Sirius led the pack, your father wrapping an arm around your shoulder. Lupin called out to his friend who turned his head to look.

"When we turn him in this means you're free."

Sirius sighed. "Freedom, haven't felt that idea be possible in a long time... what's the first thing you want to do, Poppet?"

"Will you sign my permission slip for Hogsmeade? Uncle Remus keeps busting me and making me pay in candy."

The gravelly laugh erupted from Sirius. "Absolutely! And then?"

"Teach you to be nice to Kreacher."

"He's still alive?"

"Yes and a very nice house-elf."

Sirius rolled his eyes. "I will very very reluctantly learn to be nice to our devil of a house-elf for Poppet's sake."

"Good, one more thing."

"Don't tell me you want me to make nice with Bellatrix. I'll hex her the next time I run into my brat of a cousin. Almost bit her when escaping my cell just for good measure."

"I want to go home."

That small statement made Sirius pause just at the opening of the tunnel. He turned to look at you completely. He nodded his head minutely and the faintest, most broken looking smile graced his face.

"Yeah, (Y/N), we can go home." He turned to Harry. "You can come stay too, boy. Remus is in charge of (Y/N) if anything happens to me. I'm in charge of you for James and Lily— if your aunt and uncle let you. They have real guardianship."

"They might say no just to spite me but I'll ask!" Harry said, enthusiastically.

Even if the Dursely's said no, he could always visit for a vacation. Anything was better than spending all his time with his aunt and uncle. You all made your way out, avoiding stepping too harshly and waking up the Whomping Willow tree. The march up to the castle began when everyone was safely out. Your father left your side to run to his friend.

"Remus, Remus, did you remember?"

The man shook his head. In the haste of finding Sirius when he realized that the four of you were still at Buckbeak's execution, the man forgot to take the wolfsbane potion. Remus shook his head and his whole body began to shake violently. His eyes went to black.