Post Hogwarts (Epilogue) - Chapter 36

The wolf stuffed animal greeted you. It was only after you picked up Teddy from the crib that you noticed it was there. Then you heard the clattering of pots and pans. You left your bedroom to see Kreacher trying to figure out the muggle TV that you bought— Harry had brought in one of the wizards in the Technology Department to set it up in the early morning. You could also see Harry's back as he waved a wand to move ingredients into bowls.

"Good morning," you said. "When did you get back?"

He turned around with a smile. "This morning. First lead ran cold, we have to start the search again which means desk work right now. You've done amazing with the house, it looks good."

The house had taken longer to figure out than you wanted to admit. The giant wiggentree in the middle of the space required some navigating but you didn't want to get rid of the plant or shrink it at all. The cooking was left unattended for a moment so Harry could give you a kiss. It had been four days without him but after a year apart everything felt too long. Both Teddy and Padfoot complained, you and Harry pulled apart rolling your eyes at the two very annoying members of your family.

"Molly sent a patronus. I went over for tea yesterday and she couldn't help but complain that her youngest son seems to have taken off with her second youngest to chase some Death Eaters without stopping by to say hello," you said.

"If Ron and I had stopped by she would have found a way to stop us from going."

"It's called being a worried parent, Harry. Next time send her a patronus at least."

"I will. You got a lot of muggle stuff, Dan was shocked at seeing a telly here. Do we need a blender?"

You sat Teddy in his highchair. "It's quicker to puree the baby food."

"Or you could use the Elder Wand, it's yours, love. It gives you magic. That's what you always wanted."

"It was but... I got this far without having much magic, I feel like maybe I don't need it now."

Harry nodded in understanding. He was so eager to escape the muggle world because of all the bad memories attached to it. His entire life with muggles was framed by the Dursleys. Harry couldn't really see himself going back unless he needed to. He would always fight for muggles but living with them, doing things their way, wasn't for him. But you were the opposite. You were basically a muggle as far as the wizarding world was concerned. All their technology was your magic. Muggles were your escape. So while he wasn't sure if he would ever give up the Elder Wand or if the family really needed an ice cream maker, he understood your choices. He looked over his shoulder as the eggs cooked and laughed to himself. A house-elf attempting to understand muggle technology was quite a site.

"Harry?"

"Yes?" That would never get old to him.

"You'll be here next week right? I'm going to open the store officially."

"I'll be here."

For a moment, you thought it was a lie because he and Ron had been gone for three days. But an hour before the official store opening, Harry was back. The opening was a celebrated affair. You expected that. Everything you and the others did was reported on. It put a dent in your idea of living a normal witch's life. The fireplace in the Hogsmeade Post Office saw lots of use as visitors came through to check out the place. You were glad you decided to install a broom rack by the front door. Harry tried to stay in the corner with Teddy but everyone wanted a picture with him— especially while he was still in his Auror uniform. The store was a plant lover's paradise. You might be the Alchemy teacher for the upcoming school year but even then you focused on Spagyric and you wanted to return to your Herbology roots.