Third Year - Chapter 3

The Gryffindor Common Room was so different from the Hufflepuff one. For one, it actually had a password to get in. The Golden Trio set their stuff down and got comfortable. Your eyes flitted back and forth before deciding to settle on the floor pillows where Ron was also sitting.

"Let me see your schedule," Hermione said. "What's all this?"

You felt a bit flustered, having forgotten about all the scribbles that Cedric had done on the parchment.

"Um, notes, about how to get through class," you answered.

"Your schedule's practically the same as ours," Hermione said with excitement.

Your parchment was passed to Harry and then Ron who both looked over it as well. They nodded in satisfaction before handing you back your schedule. At first, it was a bit awkward. You mainly did your homework while listening to the other three talk. Honestly, you were satisfied with that alone. Others might not like to trail after people but considering you never really had friends before, you didn't mind. The three kept talking well into the afternoon and you were starting to loosen up a bit and join in the conversation here and there. You suddenly jumped up.

"I'm going to be late," you muttered.

While your schedule was almost the same as the Golden Trio, it did differ slightly. Where they had Transfiguration, you had History of Magic. And you had Potions when they had Herbology. You said quick goodbyes and began to run through the corridors of Hogwarts. The stairs moved on you more than once, much to your dismay. You were practically heaving by the time you made it to the classroom where History of Magic was being taught. Your schedule was personally selected by Professor McGonagall.

Aside from classes that were required, she attempted to place you in classes that required very little to no magic at all. While you obviously appreciated it, you began to realize that a lack of practical magic meant lots of writing homework.

You sighed. It's not like you wanted a good night's sleep anyway. You sat at the front of the class and took notes with a vigor. Any class with no magic was given your undivided attention. You were determined that you were going to make high marks in those classes.

"How was History of Magic?" Harry asked when you sat down next to him in Charms.

"Absolutely riveting. Did you know that the muggle world and wizarding world used to exist together in the earliest days of magic?"

Before you could say another word, Professor Flitwick garnered everyone's attention. He decided that first days were a cause for celebration. The entire class would be focused on only two spells. The first was just a revision of the Levitation Charm that they learned in first year. The second was going to be a new charm. The Cheering Charm.

Your wand laid on the table while everyone else made their feathers fly high into the air. It wasn't even worth trying. Charms was a class where you would have to study real hard for the written part because you already knew that you would fail at the practical. Because of the harmless nature of the spell, everybody was partnered up to practice on another student. The partners were the students sitting at the same table so you were paired with Harry.

"It's fairly simple," Professor Flitwick demonstrated. "Move your wand like so and say Excultus!"

In order to perform a successful cheering charm, the caster of the spell must say it while thinking happy thoughts. Professor Flitwick wrote on the chalkboard the varying levels of success from simply smiling to fits of laughter. With a nod, all the students faced each other to begin. Harry motioned for you to do it first. You gingerly picked up your wand, realizing you hadn't touched it since first getting it. Just like the professor said, you swished your wand and recited the incantation. Harry's face didn't budge at all.