Fourth Year - Chapter 14

Harry shakily walked up to you. He picked up the piece of paper at your feet, reading it over as if it would change. You watched him walk away with the other champions into some room. The Great Hall was technically dismissed but none of you knew what to do. Someone putting your name in must have been a joke— the squib that was too young to compete and hated the whole tournament. But Harry? No one was sure what exactly was happening. You all went to bed quietly after that. Even when Cedric came back, the entire Hufflepuff common room gave him a round of applause but went to bed right after rather than staying up and celebrating.

You wrote to your father right away. He would want to know and maybe he could help. Although, you don't think he or James got into anything this big while at Hogwarts but maybe he would still be able to help. You looked around your room at the costume that was still on your bed.

Everyone was supposed to come back to the Great Hall to have a Halloween party before Harry got picked. Even the purebloods who were against the notion of dressing in costumes because muggles did it reluctantly agreed when the entire school started spreading the idea that it could be fun. Everyone had become more into it when they realized that it was a chance to run absolutely wild in the halls because Halloween was one of the few days that there was no curfew at Hogwarts. You had planned to go as Rowena Ravenclaw so you could wear the diadem that your father got you.

Most people didn't know what it looked like anymore and if they didn't read the inscription on the side, they might not have realized the blue sapphires were chosen because it belonged to Ravenclaw. But you didn't want to take the chance of it being recognized so Halloween seemed like the perfect and only opportunity to wear it. But no one came back out. So, you shoved the costume into your trunk. You were going to hide the diadem too but decided to display it proudly on your dresser drawer. It wasn't like anyone came into your room anyway.

Breakfast the next day seemed gloomy somehow. Harry hadn't come down yet when you got to the Hall. Ron seemed to be scowling at his cereal. Hermione mouthed what was going on. Ron took his last bite, wiping his mouth with his sleeve, before standing up.

"Where are you going?" you asked. "I thought the four of us were going to Hagrid's. You know we could go to Hogsmeade, Harry and I did yesterday. No one even knew we walked right out the front door."

"Maybe later. I've got some Divination homework, (Y/N/N)."

"Alright, well, see you in class."

"Yeah, see you."

Hermione stood up moments later, you both agreeing that maybe it was best to try and talk to him. You grabbed a plate and put some toast, eggs, and bacon on it. You also grabbed two cups of water, balancing everything carefully. You were thankful that you didn't have to go very far because Harry was descending the stairs near the Hall. You handed him the water cups.

"Good, you're awake, I was worried I would have to remember your common room's password. I was thinking we could eat by the lake."

"Isn't the Durmstrang ship there?"

"I'm trying not to think about that. It'll be nice. Early morning, sun's still coming up, it's a good break before class."

"Sure..." Harry followed you. "Where is everyone?"

"Homework. Hermione's making Ron get started early," you lied.

"You know you don't have to lie to protect me," Harry said as you guys entered the grassy area. "He still thinks I put my name in doesn't he?"

"It is strange, Harry."

"Do you think I put my name in?"

You guys reached the lake and sat down near it. The Durmstrang boat was very daunting but you tried not to pay attention to it. The plate sat in between the two of you. You shivered slightly. You regretted not putting on your grey pullover, opting for just the long sleeve white shirt. You didn't have your robe either, not bothering to bring it. Harry watched you shiver as you grabbed a piece of bacon. He took off his robe and handed the bundle to you.