Fourth Year - Chapter 10

Summer didn't have the smoothest start. For the first two weeks, you and Sirius had stayed holed up in Grimmauld Place— Kreacher did all the shopping. Your father was determined to learn how to be a proper human being again. You had noticed it from the beginning. Unless it was sorrow or anger, Sirius didn't know how to express himself very well. The dementors had done their job in creating a shell of a human being. All his smiles were awkward, his laugh a gravelly texture. And when he tried to be funny— well, it wasn't very funny at all. He was also very sick at first. Good food, and enough to satiate someone's stomach, made your father sick to his. He was throwing up after almost every meal, telling Kreacher it wasn't his fault. Eventually, he began to hold food down. His features were slowly filling out again.

Another week went by and Sirius decided he had enough. He was petting Padfoot— forever enjoying the cat's name— when he called you downstairs. Sirius declared that while he was by no means healed, you were going out. You apparated to Diagon Alley. Hushed whispers were everywhere. Sure he was free but that just meant there was more to talk about. Sirius managed to ignore it all and the two of you marched straight to Gringotts. Another Black account was opened up— Sirius only insisting on taking the family inheritance. Your mom's money and the money from his old vault he kept in your account.

One thing you learned about your father was that he walked everywhere with determination. Every step reeked of confidence and you were confused as to how you were this man's daughter when all of your steps were small and calculated. Ollivander waved to you when you walked in. You waved back, holding up your barely used wand.

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Black."

"Good to be back. I'm afraid my wand was broken in Azkaban, need a new one."

Ollivander jumped down and picked up boxes. He gave Sirius a wand that was made of the same wood, length, and core as his wand that he first got when he was eleven. To everyone's shock, it didn't work. Not even a single spell was produced. The next two wands went the same way. Sirius picked up the last wand.

"Ash wood, eleven and three fourths inches, dragon heartstring. Firm," Ollivander repeated the stats.

You watched your father wave the wand with a flourish. He loosened and tightened his grip before uttering a spell he had been dying to do since being sent to Azkaban.

"Expecto Patronum."

You watched a silver stream erupt from the wand before forming into a large dog that very much resembled his Animagus. The dog gracefully moved around the room before disappearing. Your father's gravelly laugh returned.

"This one is it, Ollivander... have you ever been to the muggle side, Poppet?"

You shook your head ferociously. Sirius stopped back at the bank for muggle currency exchange and then took you home. At first you were confused, having only ever apparated into Grimmauld Place— and then not leaving— you didn't know it was hidden on a muggle street. Muggles couldn't see it or any wizards and witches coming near it. Sirius led you to his favorite muggle restaurant when he was a kid, happy to find that it still existed. Sirius said for you to choose a pizza to split. He watched you play with a necklace while looking over the menu. After you ordered and the waiter took away the menus, your father pointed at the jewelry.

"Where'd you get that?"

"Oh, Cedric gave it to me."

"Cedric? Who's Cedric?"

You knew a dad voice when you heard it. The waiter dropped off the milkshakes and informed you that the pizza would be there soon. You pulled your drink close to you.