Fourth Year - Chapter 11

Cedric elbowed you in the ribs when you started to fall asleep at the Sorting Hat's song. It was different from last year, almost like a lullaby. Now that this was your second year at Hogwarts, you understood how the others felt. Watching the first years was both exciting yet miserable at the same time. Your stomach was going to start growling at any minute. Not many were sorted into Hufflepuff. There were a few students left to go but you quickly noticed that Ravenclaw and Slytherin were taking most of this year's batch of first years. Finally, your favorite part happened— the feast. You half listened to Dumbledore talk and introduce the new teacher for Defense Against the Dark Arts.

If it wasn't your Uncle Remus, you didn't care. The new professor— Alastor Moody— did not seem like a very friendly man. You stopped when you looked up though. Somewhere at home, you were sure there was a picture of him with your father and a bunch of other people. Your ears actually pricked up when Dumbledore announced there was no Quidditch Cup that year. Teams were still free to schedule practices on the pitch but there were no games scheduled for the entire school year. The Headmaster let the students scream and protest for a minute before silencing everyone.

"We have no Quidditch this season because it is with great pride that I announce Hogwarts has been selected as the host for the Triwizard Tournament."

You turned to Cedric. "Triwizard Tournament?"

"Happens every five years. Was discontinued for a bit because some kids died, I guess it's back."

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Of course, Hogwarts will do our best to keep up the prestige of this competition. As a competition between the three largest schools in Europe, our reputation of being a good school must be upheld. Students, I am trusting you on this. I would like to introduce our fellow competitors who will be joining us in October, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons."

The uproar that had quieted became a protest once again. Barty Crouch— your new nemesis— came out to inform everyone of the rules. He uncovered a large goblet emitting a blue flame. The kids had the entire month of September and almost all of October to decide if they wanted to enter or not. After Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrived, names would have to be submitted starting that weekend— from Saturday to Saturday. The last day to put your name in the goblet of fire was October 29th. After that, the goblet would marinate over the names and spit them out at the Halloween feast. The games began almost right away afterwards and the winner got one thousand galleons while their school got two thousand.

The uproar started because of a new rule. Only seventeen year olds were allowed to enter. They had worked to improve the games, nothing that could— should— kill a student. But danger was always going to be there and the International Wizarding Community only felt comfortable reinstating the competition if there was an age limit. Those in their last year of schooling— and any seventeen year olds that might have been in sixth year— were allowed to enter. Everyone else could only watch.

You didn't care much but you could see Fred and George protesting at the Gryffindor table. They technically would fit the description of seventeen year olds in sixth year, if it wasn't for the fact that their seventeenth birthdays were after the deadline to put names in. You didn't see the appeal of a game that had that chance of death, no matter how minute they claimed that chance was. You tilted your head up to look at Cedric.

"You're not going to enter this stupid thing are you?"

He looked down at you, resting his chin on your forehead. "It seems fun. Plus, they cancelled Quidditch. Why?"

"I just don't like the competition, you said people died."

"Well, Crouch ju—"