Sixth Year - Chapter 27

Snape decided the most important lesson to start with was learning non-verbal magic. Everyone was supposed to pair up. One person casting a jinx in silence and the other defending, also in silence. Everyone moved to create pairs. You were left out since it was an odd number. You didn't think much of it. You would've left yourself out anyway. There was no way your partner was going to learn effectively with you. Snape walked around criticizing everyone. There was something different about him this year. He seemed meaner but you weren't sure. Every student was wrong in his eyes, especially Ron who looked like he was going purple as he held his breath so he wouldn't say the spell. Snape scolded him especially and then grabbed his wand and pointed it at Harry.

"Protego!" Harry yelled without thinking.

"Do you remember me telling you we're practicing non-verbal spells, Potter?"

"Yes," Harry muttered.

"Yes, sir."

"There's no need to call me sir, Professor," Harry said— also without thinking.

His own words registered when the whole class either gasped or covered their mouths with their hands to avoid laughing out loud. Snape gave Harry the biggest scowl you had ever seen and a Saturday's detention— effectively cancelling your date that you had planned. He met your eyes and smiled sheepishly. Everyone walked to lunch talking about the incident. You didn't sit down right away, checking on all the Hufflepuffs first. When you did your prefect duty, you dropped next to Hermione and let your face relax. Hermione pushed her plate at you.

"You didn't eat breakfast, you need to eat something."

That was the hardest part, eating. You and Sirius bonded over food. Everything he learned about you was over a meal, especially at the muggle pizza shop. There was a lot that you were still processing and you figured that you could through it. But food was still sensitive. Tentatively, you took your fork and ate. It was only a few bites but that seemed to satisfy everyone around you.

You were supposed to be professor's assistant in Potions for N.E.W.T. level students which meant reluctantly going to Potions with the rest of the Golden Quartet after lunch. You didn't want to meet Slughorn or any new professor. You wanted Snape back in his old position and to be nicer again— change wasn't exactly something you were liking. There was still a lot of change that you had to get used to and so far it was all for the worse. Slughorn on the other hand was very excited to meet you and discuss your brewing of felix felicis. That felt like such a long time ago to you. He shook your hand wildly as he introduced himself. Your nose turned at the smell. What used to be Christmas seemed replaced with new smells. Broomstick wood, butterbeer, catalogues, galleons, and a cologne that you easily recognized as Harry's.

"We're already doing Amortentia?" you asked.

"Oh no," Slughorn said. "Not until Valentine's Day but I wanted to introduce a bunch of potions the students can expect to see this year and next."

You nodded and simply sat at the back like you used to when Snape taught. At least your former professor seemed to have given Slughorn a heads up because the back desk was reserved with all your stuff on it. You zoned out a bit as Slughorn gave his introductions and asked people to get books. The only reason you mentally checked in was because Harry and Ron almost pushed you in an effort to get the new looking copy of the Potions textbook rather than some old one that looked like it would fall off under someone's touch. Slughorn began giving everyone previews of the potions— Polyjuice, Veritaserum, and Amortentia.

While the others began working on the first potion of the year, Draught of Living Death, in order to win a small bottle of felix felicis, you were looking at your own work. You sighed as you looked at the plans you had for discovering how to give squibs magic. Something told you that you wouldn't get to it this year. Dumbledore wouldn't have given you that random children's book because he thought it was a cute story. There was a reason and you'd have to figure it out. It wasn't a thick book but you remembered that. Each story was a quick read and you would easily finish before the class period ended. You flipped to the first page, a story called "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot". You were pretty sure that was your favorite story growing up. You remembered quite well actually— this story was your favorite and in the same book, "The Tale of Three Brothers" used to give you nightmares.