Chapter 46

It's finally Saturday and I was so excited. Dre had rented out my favorite Italian restaurant and our family and friends would be celebrating my first buyout. I felt so accomplished. Dre and I coordinated our attire and looked really cute. When Dre and I arrived at the restaurant, everyone was there. I guess it's my fault that we run a few minutes late. My hair didn't want to cooperate. 

As we walked to the table hand in hand, our guest started clapping and congratulating me. I was all smiles.

After we were done eating, Dre stood up to offer a toast.

"First I want to thank God for allowing this gathering and the reason for the gathering. Second, I'm thankful for you all for taking time out of your busy schedule. I know you could have been somewhere else but you chose to come here. That lets me know that you truly care for Tahleea."

Dre then put his arm around my waist and kissed me on my cheek.

"Third, I want to congratulate the love of my life for her accomplishments. Tahleea, the sacrifices that you've made to ensure happy employees, happy investors and customers are paralleled to the way you live your life. You're doing things to ensure the happiness of your parents, your friends and me. I love who you are. You're beautiful inside and out. Because of who you are, TDL Logics yielded a profit that allowed you to purchase 40% of your company. You are well on your way to being the sole owner. So everyone, let's lift our glasses and give a congratulatory toast to Tahleea for a job well done."

Dre then looked down at me and softly kissed my lips. I heard the clinking of glasses and more congratulations coming from our family and friends. Just as I was about to give my little thank you speech, Dre got a call. It looked to have been something he needed to attend to in a hurry so he told me he'd be right back and rushed off.

I turned and smiled at all that were present and let them know that I was thankful for them because they keep me encouraged when I feel overwhelmed and inadequate at running a company not to mention young and running a company. I thanked my parents for their continued support. I thanked my employees for holding things down and putting up with me on those not so good days. I thanked Dre's parents for their continued support as well. They are always checking on me and making sure I'm ok when Dre is on the road. My circle is full of love for one another and I'm grateful. 

Just before I sat down in my seat, a waiter came running towards our table. He was huffing like he was out of breath. I wasn't prepared for what he was about to say.

"Please hurry, come, Signor Hassan has collapsed. We've already called emergency service!"

I felt my heart rise up to my throat. Then I heard the screeching of chairs being moved. It was like everything was in slow motion. I saw everyone run to the elevator.

It was then I realized the waiter was pulling on me and saying Dre was on the rooftop. I guess he went there for privacy when he left to take his call. I didn't want to wait on the elevator to come back down so I asked the waiter to lead me to the stairs. He opened the door and started running in front of me. Trying to run in my heels was making it hard for me to speed up, so I took them off and sped past the waiter.

When I got to the rooftop and opened the door, I noticed a lot of people circled around but didn't see Andre. I felt panicked. I started screaming his name as I ran towards the people. Before I reached him, I could hear the ding of the elevator. I could feel my legs get weak the closer I got to the people who were hovering around Andre. When I was able to reach the circle I continued to scream Andre's name to let him know that I was with him. Then in one quick move, the group moved. As they cleared out, Andre was on one knee holding what looked to be a box in his hands. By this time I was in full panic mode and crying hysterically. Then I realized what he was doing. He was holding a ring. I cried more because the thought hit me of how I felt thinking that something bad had happened to him.

I dropped to my knees in front of him and grabbed him towards me. I cried so hard in his chest. Dre rubbed circles on my back and calmed me down. As he kissed me, he apologized for scaring me. I started crying again just from the thought that this could have been my last time with him. Life is so short so happiness is in the moment. He stood up while holding me. I continued to cry on his shoulder.

"Tee baby. I'm ok. See I'm alright. I'm so sorry for scaring you like that."

I finally calmed down enough for him to place me on my feet. We stood looking one another in the eyes.

"Now that you're calm, let me do this the right way."

Dre went back down on his knee and held the ring box up towards me.

"Tahleea Danielle Layton, from the first day I saw you walking on campus, I knew you were the one. We've been through many valleys during our relationship, but I feel those were just valleys to help us climb to the top of the mountain. We've overcome so much. I thank you for giving me another chance. I thank you for the unconditional love you give me day in and day out. I want to wake up to that love every morning for the rest of our lives. Baby, what I'm trying to say is that I want forever with you. I want us to share my last name. Will you make me your husband, because I want you to be my wife?"

I stood there frozen. I'm not sure why no words were passing beyond my lips. So many different emotions hit me like a whirlwind. I'm asking myself is Dre ready? Is this the right time? Am I ready? With all the questions going through my mind, a calmness crept up inside of me. Just a few minutes ago, I thought I had lost my friend, my man. At this moment, I felt I was ready to start another chapter with Dre.

"I want you to be my husband just as you want me to be your wife. The answer is YES! Andre the answer is YES!"

He grabbed me up into an ardent kiss. We kissed and held one another so tight until my lungs begged for air. For a second, we were in our own little world.

As we heard the cheers, we pulled back just a little from one another so we could face our guest. Makel, Micah and Corrina ran up to me with their arms up. I'm quite sure I scared the heebie geebies out of them with my earlier reactions. Dre picked up the twins as I picked up Corrina. Everyone else came rushing to us and formed a circle around us. I heard my dad's voice boom through the crowd.

"Let's all gather around this young couple as I pray. The enemy doesn't like what just transpired so we must thank God for this soon to be union and invite him to always be in the midst of their home and relationship." 

When my dad finished praying, there was not a dry eye found. He took us to church with that prayer. After Dre and I mingled with everyone, we thanked them for coming. The crowd soon included me, Dre, his parents and my parents. We sat on the rooftop laughing and listening to the advice of both sets of parents. Dre and I tried to take it all in. Though we will build our own life together, it's always good to listen to those that have and are still walking the path.