Chapter 36

I have a few more days before I'll be flying home for a week. Jaxon is already going through withdrawals. Work has kept me very busy. I had six contracts to look over and prepare a presentation for the director and investors. Of the six contracts, I give the green light to four of them, but I'm not the one to make the final decision. This is why I do a lot of research before preparing a presentation. I have to show how this contract will either benefit the company or be a bad investment.

Feeling a little stiff from sitting at my desk for so long, I stood up to stretch and walk around my office. As I was looking out of the window, I heard a knock on my office door. I turn to see that it's Darah.

"Hey Tee. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well. Just trying to finish up the presentations on the six contracts that came through a few weeks ago. I want to have everything completed before I leave to go home. How are you doing?" I asked.

Darah looked to have a glow about her and seemed to be excited about something.

"Isaac asked me to marry him!"

"Well what did you say?"

"I said YES!" Darah said.

I congratulated her on the engagement and asked if they had chosen a date. Their wedding is planned for May of next year so Darah has five months to get everything planned. I told her I would help with the planning. She also wanted me to be a bridesmaid and I happily accepted. I hugged my friend and told her how happy I am for her and Isaac.

After Darah left my office, I sat behind my desk and started working again. It was then I remembered I hadn't eaten lunch and I was feeling a little weak. As I was thinking about what to order, my desk phone rang.

"Good afternoon. This is Tahleea Layton."

"Damn, just hearing your voice makes me want you."

"Does it make you want to bring me some lunch because I'm hungry?" I asked.

I didn't dare tell Jaxon that I was feeling weak because he'd want me to leave work so he could cook me something to eat and make me rest. I had too much to do so leaving work early any day this week is out of the question.

"That was actually my reason for calling. I'm joining you for lunch in your office. Is Steak Out ok?"

"Steak Out is perfect. I want six ounce steak tips cooked medium well with a sweet potato and unsweetened tea. Don't forget steak sauce and ask to put butter and sour cream on the side please."

"Anything for you babe. I'll be there as soon as I pick up our order." Jaxon said.

I managed to finish the fifth presentation before Jaxon walked in with our lunch. I stood up and met him in front of my desk, hugging him and planting a kiss on his lips.

He looked down at me, "Isaac told me you've been in your office since you got here. Babe you have got to take a lunch break. I don't want you overworking yourself like you have done before, ok?"

I told him that I wouldn't and from now on, I would bring snacks with me when I have a heavy workload. I walked over and locked my door because I didn't want anyone disturbing us during our lunch date. Jaxon set everything out on the table and pulled my chair out for me to sit. He kissed me on the cheek before he sat down. As we ate, I asked him if he was chosen as one of the groomsmen. He told me that Isaac wanted him to be a part of the wedding party, but he wouldn't be here. He kept eating as if I missed what he said.

"So you've been approved to go to Japan?"

"Yes I found out today." He said.

All of a sudden my appetite was gone. He watched me as I stood up from the table. I was trying hard to control my emotions. This is a part of Jaxon's career plan. We've talked about it thoroughly. It still doesn't change what I'm feeling right now. I walked to the window and just stared at nothing. He walked up behind me placing his arms around my waist.

"When are you leaving?" I asked.

He told me he'd be leaving February 1st. That will give us a little over a month to be together. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. He turned me around to face him and I cried in his chest. He didn't say a word, only holding me tight and rubbing my back. I never meant to break down in front of him because this is an occasion to celebrate, but right now, I was being selfish. My friend, my man, is leaving.

After a minute, I stopped crying and when I looked up at him, tears were trickling down his cheeks. I pulled his face down and kissed away his tears.

"I'm sorry for breaking down like this. I really tried to prepare myself for this day but I guess I didn't do a good enough job huh?"

He looked down at me and smiled. "I didn't even try to prepare because I knew it was going to be hard for me."

A few more tears escaped down his cheek. I pulled his face down again to kiss those tears away.

"Do you want to go out and celebrate?" I asked.

"No, I don't feel like celebrating right now. I just want to spend all of my spare time with you. Will you come stay with me until I move?"

"You mean like not sleeping at my apartment at all?" I asked.

"Yes, that's what I mean. I want to go to bed and wake up to you lying right beside me every day." 

"Won't that just make it harder for us when the time comes?"

"Taleeah, either way it's going to be hard. I want you near me as much as possible. When you come back here after Christmas, just know that I'm going to be like a second skin on you until I have to leave. Hell right now I'm thinking about declining."

"Jaxon, you will not decline this offer. Why would you? You have no obligations. Live out your dreams while you can. I'm going to miss you, but I want you to go. Live the life and have the career you've dreamed about. I'm so proud of you and happy for you. I was just being selfish when I had my moment. I didn't mean for you to think twice about the choice you've made. Who knows, maybe I could come visit and I know there will be times when you'll return back to Huntsville to visit."

"You always know what to say to make me feel better. But I'm serious about you staying with me. We'll check in at your apartment every week until I move you back."

I agreed to stay with Jaxon until he leaves for Japan. I honestly think doing this is going to make it harder for me when he leaves.

"I'll come over after work to help you pack. Now let's finish our lunch."

He's not wasting any time moving me in.