Chapter 43

Dre has been gone for a few days because the next few games are away. While he was gone, I spent a few days with Corrina, Makel and Micah. With LaShae being close to delivery, she needed the rest. Darah and Isaac scheduled a little getaway so they could have some private time together. I love spending time and spoiling my niece and nephews, so it's important to me that I make time for them.

After I took the toddlers back to their parents, I headed back to my parents house so that I could unwind and get myself together for the beginning of the work week. When I walked through the living room, I could see both my parents sitting at the kitchen table. I walked in and sat close to my mom who had the biggest smile on her face.

"Taleeah I really enjoyed having the babies over. We had so much fun entertaining them" my mom said.

"Yeah. I like spending time with them. I consider them my niece and nephews since I'll never have any of my own."

My mom looked at me with a sad face.

"Do you regret being the only child Danielle?" my dad asked.

Now I wish I could take back what I said because it's made them sad.

My mom told me that there was a short period of time that she and my dad were trying to work on their relationship. She got pregnant and things seemed to have been going smoothly. She said the baby had always been active from the time she could feel it kick. One day she was carrying me up the stairs to take me to my room and she lost her footing and we both tumbled down the stairs. My dad immediately took us to the E.R. to be checked out. The doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. The fall caused my mom to lose the baby. When her and my dad split again, she never got into a serious enough relationship to have a baby with another man.

"Dad I didn't mean it in a way to make you guys sad. When I was younger, there were times when I wished I had a sister or brother. Especially when I was around friends that had siblings. As I got older, it didn't bother me as much. To answer your question, no I don't regret being an only child. You had what God wanted you to have."

I could see the unshed tears in my mom's eyes. I leaned over to hug and kiss her and told her not to ever feel sad about having one child.

"I love being your one and only."

My parents smiled and I felt the weight of those bad feelings lifted.

"Well now I guess I can go ahead and tell you now. I want some grandbabies. I'm not asking that it be in the near future, but after spending time with the little ones, I know I'm ready when you are." My mom said.

I just shook my head and laughed at her.

"Ranell, can she get married first?" My dad asked.

She just shrugged her shoulders and told my dad all I needed was a sperm. I covered my ears. I can't believe my mom is ok with having grandbabies without a son-in-law. I told them to continue with the conversation without me and headed to my room to take a shower and get ready for bed. My day would start very early.

———————————————————————

I awoke to my alarm clock. It felt like I'd just laid down to sleep. Having all three toddlers at the same time wore me out. I got up to get ready for work. Today was going to be a busy one. It's the end of the month rush. Since I had a few visitors today and a presentation, I decided on wearing a navy blue pencil skirt with a gold silk blouse, multi colored blazer that accentuated my waist and navy blue shoes with gold heels. I let my natural curls hang and applied light makeup. Once I was done getting myself together, I grabbed my purse, briefcase and a pair of flats and made my way downstairs to the kitchen to make some chai tea. Fortunately, mom already had it ready for me. I hollered up the stairs to let my parents know that I was leaving.