Chapter 22

The months have flown by. I can't believe it's already the end of March and I'm back in Dallas for LaShae and Sean's baby shower. The venue and the decorations are beautiful. Sean's parents made sure that everything had been taken care of.

I had just landed and caught a cab to bring me to the venue. When I got out of the cab I could hear LaShea calling me. I got my suitcase out of the trunk and paid the driver. I turned and hugged my friend because I was so happy to see her. Her baby bump had gotten bigger.

"Oh my gosh LaShae! You look like you swallowed a medium sized watermelon."

We both laughed a little before she told me she felt like she had indeed swallowed a watermelon. I told her she didn't have much longer before she'd be holding her beautiful baby girl. We walked into the venue and I placed my luggage in the changing room.

LaShae and I talked about the last few months of our lives. Mine consisted of work, work and more work while she was working and preparing for motherhood. LaShae had a glow about her. I could tell that she was happy.

"Has Andre made a visit yet? The season is over so he doesn't have an excuse," LaShae picked up our conversation again.

I told her that he hadn't visited but he calls to check on me often. She wasn't too happy with my response. At one point, I thought I wouldn't be happy with it. I was looking forward to Andre visiting and spending time with me. But, to be honest, I wouldn't have the time because I'm so busy with projects and presentations. I told LaShae that my busy schedule wouldn't allow it and that it's not his fault he hadn't visited. She looked at me with concern in her eyes.

"Taleeah, I know you. Why are you working so much? What is really going on between you and Andre?

I told my best friend about everything that had happened between me and Dre the last time I was home. She said she could sense that something was going on and I'm not a good actress. I told her that Dre has to choose if he wants the friend with benefits or me, but while he's trying to make his decision, I'm not going to wait around. She gave me a high five.

"That's my girl," she said.

Not long after our conversation, Sean entered the changing room. Just as he was getting ready to ask me where Dre was, Andre entered the room.

"The god-parents are here," shouted Sean.

Andre walked over to me with his arms out pulling me up for a hug.

"How was the flight?" He asked.

"I'm here." I answered.

We just stood looking at one another almost like two strangers. Andre offered to pick me up from the airport but I told him I'd catch a cab and meet him. I wasn't ready to talk about our relationship or issues. I needed to be in a good mood for my friend. This is a day to celebrate the expectancy of my niece and shower her with gifts. I wasn't about to let mine and Dre's issues ruin it.

The guest had arrived and it was time for Dre and I to take our place beside Sean and LaShae. We would be honorably accepting the role of god-parents to Corrina LaSean. I can't wait to spoil and love on her.
We had so much fun playing games, opening gifts, eating and mingling with our college friends. Mostly all our teammates were in attendance.

A few hours had passed and the guest had started to leave. Andre and I helped Sean and LaShae pack up all the gifts. Sean's parents were making sure the crew they hired to clean up were leaving the place spotless. Everything was packed and cleaned and we were ready to go.

I was so tired and was ready for a shower and some sleep. LaShae wanted me to come crash at her house, but I knew if I went over there she would try to cater to me. Being on her feet the way she has, she definitely needed to rest. I told her that I would call a cab to take me to my parent's house. Before I could take out my cellphone to call, Andre walked up from behind me and took my phone. He then grabbed my suitcase and put it in the trunk of his car.

"You're not calling a cab when I'm here to take you home." Dre said.

I was too tired to argue so I hugged LaShae and Sean and got in the passenger seat of Dre's car. He got in the car and I could tell he was upset with me.

"Taleeah do you mind telling me what's going on with you?"

I just looked at Dre and told him that I was tired and just needed a shower and sleep. He started the car.

"I'm taking you to my house. You can stay over tonight and I'll take you to your parent's tomorrow."

Again, I had no energy to argue, so I agreed. We arrived at Andre's house within thirty minutes. I believe I fell asleep as soon as the car started moving.

"Babe wake up!"

I looked around to see Andre standing beside me. He had already gotten out of the car and opened the passenger door.

"I've been calling your name for the longest." Andre said.

I apologized for falling asleep. Dre helped me get out of the car, but as soon as I stood up, everything went dark.

———————————————————————

Why do I hear mumbling? Is Dre singing in the shower? If he's up, then I need to get up and get myself together so he can drop me off at my parent's house. I'm quite sure he has plans that don't include me.

I try sitting up and that's when the mumbling sounds become urgent. Am I so tired that I'm not hearing clearly? Why do my arms feel so heavy? Something is wrong. My eyes are open but it's still dark. I'm starting to panic now. I try getting up again and I hear the mumbling noise again. The noise is close but yet far. I know I'm tired, but I've never felt like this before. Maybe I just need to relax and rest some more. I'll tell Andre to do whatever he had planned and I'll stay so I can sleep in a little longer. I know my parents would be upset with me if they knew I'd been working more and resting less. I laid back on the pillow and allowed sleep to take over once again.

———————————————————————

The room becomes bright. I start shifting around. It's definitely time for me to get up and get myself ready. Opening my eyes and looking around, something doesn't look right. This doesn't look like Dre's guest room. I keep looking around and that's when I hear a beeping noise. Feeling a pinch in my arm, I looked down and noticed a needle there. What is going on? Before I could start panicking, I could see my mom and dad rushing towards me.

"Baby girl, don't move around too much. How are you feeling?" My mom asked.

I looked up at her, confused as to what was going on.

"Mama what's going on? Why am I in the hospital?"

That's when my mom told me that I fainted at Andre's house and he rushed me to the hospital.

"Taleeah we're concerned about you." My dad says.

"The doctor said that you were severely dehydrated, your protein levels were low and iron is really low."

My parents looked so sad. They didn't know what was going on with me. I told my parents that I've been working a lot. The director has been assigning more projects to me. It's his way of making sure I'm prepared to start my own contract business, but I know my parents won't understand that. It's my fault that I haven't been taking care of myself.

"Baby girl you've been here two days. Your body was so weak. Please tell us what's going on with you."

Before I could say anything, the door opened and Andre walked in with the doctor.

"Ms. Layton. I'm Dr. Emil. How are you feeling today?"

I told the doctor that I was feeling rested. He proceeded to tell me what happened and told me I have to make sure I'm eating, drinking plenty of fluids and resting. My body was having a hard time recuperating.

"If all goes well, you can go home tomorrow with strict orders to rest, eat properly and drink water and Gatorade." Dr. Emil directed.

I told him that I would do just as he ordered. Dr. Emil left the room. I turned to look at my parents and Andre. They all wanted to know how I allowed this to happen. Honestly, I didn't want to explain that I overworked myself to keep my mind from dwelling on Dre and his decision.

Forever Yours: How it all Beganजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें