Chapter 7

Glad to be back at my apartment, I took a nice long hot shower and shampoo and conditioned my hair.  Getting in bed, I heard my cell phone buzzing. I picked it up from the night stand. It was a text from Andre.

Andre: Thank you for letting me hang out with you and your parents.

Me: You invited yourself!

Andre: I need to talk to you.

Me: We don't have anything to talk about.

Andre: Yes we do. I know you're mad at me, but I want to explain what's going on.

Me: You owe me no explanation.

Andre: I'm coming over there.

Me: No you're not. You're here with Macy, stay with her.

Andre: Tahleea I care about you! Please let me talk to you.

Me: Andre I'm ok. Let me stay that way.

Andre: Ok I'm not going to push you.

Me: Thanks!

My parents and I ordered our breakfast. No sign of Andre. Maybe he took the hint and won't show up. I hear the door chime and look up. Not my lucky day.

He walks up to our booth and sits beside me apologizing for being late. My mom told him we had just ordered so he had time. The waitress took his order. When he was done, he turned towards me putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Did you rest well?" He asked.

"I did. Thank you for asking."

"Tahleea I love this new hairstyle on you."

"Thank you for noticing it Andre."

My mom looked at me. Her eyes were telling me to stop being rude. Another eye roll from me.

"Mr. and Mrs. Layton, did you guys rest well?"Andre asked.

"We sure did!" My dad answered.

My mom quickly followed up my dad's statement, "I just hate to leave my baby girl."

"Oh mama! I'll be home this summer since I'm taking classes at the community college. Maybe I can find a summer job. My savings are getting a little low."

"Tahleea Danielle Layton!" My mom checks me. "I just checked your account and you have plenty." Looking up at my dad for help, he just keeps quiet.

"Mama there's nothing wrong with me staying ahead financially."

"You know your father and I don't want you working while you're in school. You've worked so hard to graduate early and I just don't want anything distracting you. This last year is going to be very challenging."

I really appreciate my mom's concerns. Knowing she's not going to allow me to work, but it was worth pitching my idea.

After we finished eating, we all chatted a few minutes more and it was time for my parents to leave. We hugged and kissed one another's cheek. I love them so much.

After watching them drive off, I turn to walk to my car. Andre is standing beside my driver side door. I wasn't in the mood to talk to him. My wall was up and I want it to stay that way.

"Tahleea, are you not going to talk to me?"

"Talk to you about what Andre? About how I allowed you to see a part of me that I swore would only be seen by my future husband! About how I allowed you to touch me in places that were to be touched by my future husband! About how I allowed you in my space! Is that what you want to talk to me about? Wait, I know. You want to talk to me about the evening Macy popped you on the ass and licked her lips. It's just an athletic gesture so I don't see why the fuck you would want to talk to me about that! Do you want to talk to me about the night at my apartment when you told me you knew I was going to be yours the first time you laid eyes on me. Damn I know that couldn't be it because that was the liquor talking! Or do you want to talk to me about the day of the draft when you sucked Macy's face knowing that I was watching that shit on tv? What the FUCK would you need to talk to me about Andre?"

That's when the tears came. I fell for him. I cared for him. I thought our relationship was genuine. I'm not saying I was going to be his wife, but I knew even after he was drafted if we tried, we could make things work. 

"Tahleea I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I care so much for you."

And this is when the maniac side came out.

"Care! You care for me Andre. Save that care shit for Macy! Now please move away from my car. I have places to go and people to see."

"Tahleea we need to talk and I want to spend some time with you."

"I'm sorry Andre but I've said all that I'm going to say. And I'm going to spend time with people that genuinely show me that they care. I will tell you this, you were the first guy that I allowed my heart to take in, even though my mind told me no. LaShae warned me about you, but I was a relationship ameteur. I guess I should thank you for what you did. I will be more cautious from now on."

"Tahleea please don't leave like this. I want us to be friends."

"We were friends, remember? You said you wanted more. So I gave you more of me. But did you really want more or did you want to be the first to get in the freshman's pants?"

I'm glad that we never made it that far. I pulled off leaving him standing in the parking lot.