Chapter 6

I was so excited. It was the day of the draft. After Andre left to go to California for the NFL combine, we really hadn't been able to see one another. We kept in touch through Skype.

Today is the day that he'll find out where he'll begin his professional career.  Me and LaShae are sitting on the couch glued to the television. It's an hour before the draft starts and my phone rings. I see that it's Andre. I quickly answered.

"Hey Dre! I'm so proud of you. I'll be right here on the couch watching the draft until your name is called."

"Thank you Tahleea. I really appreciate that. I just wanted to give you a call before everything gets started. I'll call you when everything is settled ok?"

"Ok. I'll talk to you soon."

We hung up and I jumped on the couch beside LaShae.

"Winch you made me waste my kool aid!"

I apologize and let her know that I'm just so excited to see my boo go to the next level. I can't wait to see where he'll start his career. 

The draft is now on and Andre is the first pick in the first round. He'll definitely be racking the dough. The commissioner goes to the stage and announces that the Dallas Cowboys select Andre Hassan as their wide receiver. I jumped for joy. Andre really didn't want to leave Texas and he hoped that either the Cowboys or the Oilers picked him up.

The camera focused on Andre. He was surrounded by his parents, all of his siblings and Macy! Why the hell was Macy there with him? They all stood up clapping and hugging Dre. He then turned and kissed Macy on the lips. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My heart hit the floor. I sat back on the couch and LaShae looked at me with so much sorrow in her eyes.

I felt like Dre had reached through the television and ripped my heart out. So many emotions hit me at the same time; confusion, disbelief, hurt and anger. I promised myself that I wouldn't fall but I did. I fell hard for him. Though we didn't go all the way, he was able to touch me in places that no one else was allowed.

I got up from the couch to make my way to my bedroom. LaShae called me, but I couldn't turn around to look at her. I told her I would be ok and walked to my room, closing the door behind me, I pulled the covers and got in the bed.

———————————————————————

Months have gone by and I've avoided calls and texts from Andre. It's now my second year of college and I can't afford to be distracted. I worked out harder, I practiced harder and I studied longer, just to keep my mind off of Andre.

We made it to the semifinals and the coach is giving the team a pep talk. She told me I would be switching between setter and outside hitter. Before exiting the locker room, I put my BOSE headphones on and got in my zone. We walked to the court to warm up.

I looked around to see where my parents were sitting. Once I spotted them, I scanned the gym to see that it was a packed house. There on the second row from the floor sat Andre and Macy. If looks could kill, they would have fallen over right there. Dre caught me looking and just as he was about to wave, I turned and walked to the bench. I had to focus on the game.

Our opponent was a tough team, but we pulled through. The last play, LaShae set the ball for me. I was ready just as it came down at the right spot, I took all of my anger out by hitting the ball to the other side. After 3 hits the other team couldn't get the ball back on our side. We did it! The team came rushing to me, picking me up and cheering. We played hard tonight and this win was definitely earned.

After the rush, I ran to meet my parents. Even though they're not together, they always made sure they supported me together. I missed them so much. I haven't told my parents about my relationship with Andre. When I'd talk to my mom, she would always tell me to live just a little. Meaning mingle and date.