Chapter 66

Mavis smiled as she hugged Carmen goodbye. Irina was gone, but the rest of them were still alive. Kate was with Garrett. Mavis was sure they would stick together now. They seemed to really like each other. "Come visit," Tanya spoke. "We miss you."

"I will," Mavis pulled away from Carmen.

Carmen then pulled Paul in for a hug, catching him by surprise. "Take care of our sweet, Mavis."

Paul smiled slightly, "I think she's the one taking care of me." As Paul pulled away, Mavis moved closer. She wrapped her arms around his abdomen and leaned against his chest. It was still unclear what Alice had shown Aro to get him to leave, but Mavis knew it was better if it remained a mystery.

"Bye, Mavis," Kate came up from behind her. "We will see you very soon."

"Graduation is only a few months away," she reminded them. "I'm pretty sure you promised to be there."

"That we did," Carmen confirmed. "And we are counting down the days."

Paul let his arm rest on her shoulders, feeling content with his life. A year ago, he never would have imagined his life turning out this way. He was never actively looking for love, especially with someone associated with vampires. Yet, here he was. Paul wouldn't want to be anywhere else. This was where he was happiest, with Mavis. It seemed it would be that way forever.

Alice stood with Jasper, a hand on her chest as she watched her daughter. "Jasper," she said. "What's she feeling now?" Alice had once asked this question before Mavis was with Paul.

"She's happy," he replied with a grin. "Very happy."

Alice smiled, "he loves her. I saw it myself in that vision."

"And she loves him," Jasper said. "I can feel it." That was all either of them could ever ask for. Someone who made their daughter happy. Alice had seen the future for Edward and his family already. Renesmee was going to be around for a long time, and they were going to be happy.

It was as if Mavis could feel their eyes on her. She looked over her shoulder with a vibrant smile. To her, everything in the world had fallen into place. The Volturi were gone, and they hopefully wouldn't bother them again. Renesmee was going to stay alive, which was all any of them wanted.

As Mavis locked eyes with her mother, Alice felt the world stop. A vision appeared in her mind.

A dark tunnel that was cold and damp. It was hard to navigate. Blonde hair fluttering in the wind, and the hand of an older man grabbing a door handle. Broken glass on a tile floor. Blood trailing down a hallway.

A scream. A loud scream echoed off the walls.

Her body fell backward, hair covering a metal table. Paul grabbed her shoulders, his eyes full of tears as he cried. Paul placed a hand on Mavis's cheek. There was black liquid dripping out of her nose, and her blonde hair was matted with blood and something green. 

Her heart monitor flat-lined.

Alice gasped and stumbled backward. Jasper reacted quickly, placing a hand on her shoulder to steady her. "Alice," his voice was full of fear. "What did you see?" Alice watched as Renesmee ran towards Mavis, who moved away from Paul to pick her up. The girl was almost too big for Mavis to hold now, but she tried. Alice looked back at Edward, who was smiling at Bella. However, when he caught her eye, everything changed. The smile on his face was long gone as he glanced back at Mavis. "Alice?"

"Mavis," she whispered. "Mavis is going to die."

They both looked at Mavis, who had no idea that a conversation about her envisioned death was taking place. All she could focus on was the young girl in front of her and the shape-shifter beside her.

Because right now, everything was perfect for her. Life was finally perfect. Mavis wouldn't change a single thing.