Chapter 5

"Hey," Emmett sat down across from her at the kitchen table. Mavis took a bite of her cereal, eyeing him closely. She had skipped school with the hopes of being able to read her book, but that seemed to be a bad call. The only person who went to school was Edward. And that was only because he needed to drive Bella. "How's your food?"

"Good," Mavis closed her book. "I would offer you some, but we both know you can't eat it."

They hadn't spoken since the previous night. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for snapping at you last night." She raised an eyebrow at him. It wasn't like Emmett to apologize. "I was angry with the wolves and took it out on you."

She smirked, "did Rosalie make you say that?"

"Maybe," he whispered. "But that doesn't mean I'm not sorry."

Mavis debated on accepting his apology. His words had affected her. They were overly harsh and made her feel small on the inside. But Emmett loved her, and she knew that. "It's okay, Emmett."

"Nice," he smiled. Mavis slipped the book of the counter and dropping it in her backpack. Luckily, he didn't notice.

Suddenly, the front door swung open. The sound was loud, and it caused her to jump. Emmett immediately turned around but relaxed seeing Edward stomping inside. "Edward," she began. "Is everything okay?"

"No, it's not." He threw his backpack on the table.

"Where's Bella," Emmett asked. School had just ended, and typically Bella would join him. Mavis couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that her friend wasn't here. It was a weird feeling to miss the Swan girl. They hadn't been overly close in the beginning, but now she wanted to see her. Bella was gone for the entire weekend, and Mavis missed her.

"With Jacob."

Emmett smirked but tried to hide it by turning his head. Mavis rolled her eyes, knowing the boy found the love triangle situation amusing. "Why is she with him, Edward?" Talking to him calmy always worked.

Edward ran a hand through his hair. "He told her about Victoria. She knows I lied to get her out of town."

Mavis couldn't blame Bella for being upset. She argued that Bella should know what was going on, but her opinion was always ignored. "She's upset, but she'll get over it. Bella loves you."

"Whatever," Edward grabbed his bag. Without speaking further on the subject, he stomped upstairs.

"Someone's having a tantrum," Emmett stood up. "I'll go make sure he doesn't break anything."

Mavis went to comment, but her cell phone rang in her pocket. Slipping the object out, she noticed it was Bella. "Hey, Bella."

"Hey, Mavis," Bella spoke. "I need a small favor."

"Yeah, anything," she agreed.

"Can you come pick me up," Bella began. "Jacob's car isn't working, and Charlie's at work. Plus, you're the only one who can step on the property."

Mavis wanted to say no. She desperately wanted to say no. Going to the property of the werewolves would anger everyone in the house. Mostly Rosalie, who hated them. "Yeah," she found herself agreeing. "Sure, text me the address."

"You're the best, Mavis," Bella said. "I owe you." She hung up the phone, grumbling under her breath about how Bella did owe her big time. Mavis glanced down the hallway, making sure nobody was around. The coast was clear. As quickly as possible, she grabbed the keys and rushed out the door.

~~~~~~~~~

Mavis's heart was racing as she parked the car outside of a small house. This was the address Bella texted her, but it was in the middle of nowhere. Against her better judgment, she got out of the car. Bella had said the wolves were friendly, and she believed her.