Chapter 17

She had never been to La Push before. None of the Cullens had. It was against the treaty. Mavis always followed that because she was the girl who hung out with vampires. If they didn't go somewhere, neither did she. That changed today.

The sun was long gone, as it usually was. It was windy and cold. "Here," Jacob grabbed a jacket from his car. "You'll need this."

"Won't you get cold?"

"Advantages of being a wolf," he shrugged.

"Are you a werewolf," Mavis asked him. "Or just a wolf?"

The dark-haired boy let out a loud laugh. "A werewolf? I guess, but we usually go by shapeshifters."

"Oh," that made more sense. Her cheeks were already flushed from the cold. Jacob laughed again and pulled out a black beanie. He stretched it over her head. "How do I look?"

He took in her appearance. "Like you're going to freeze."

Mavis was already cold, but she wanted to experience La Push. "Then I'll be getting the full experience." He rolled his eyes and slung his arm over her shoulders. "Are you sure I won't be crashing the party?"

"Absolutely," he promised. "Everyone likes you, some more than others."

"Are you talking about Emily?"

He paused, "sure." That was a clear indication he wasn't. They walked over the sand mound together. Mavis noticed everyone hanging out in two groups. Some were sitting together on a blanket while a few others ran around shirtless.

The first person to notice them was Seth. "Mavis," he screamed. He ran away from the game of soccer and towards her. "Hey." The young boy came to a stop right in front of them. "What are you doing here?"

"I invited her," Jacob informed him.

"Awesome," Seth seemed excited to see her. "Paul will be thrilled. And so will Emily. Come on." He grabbed her hand, successfully dragging her away from Jacob. Mavis didn't have a chance to argue as he quickly led her towards the group. "Hey, look who's here!"

The group eyed the blonde girl. "Hey."

"Mavis," Emily leaned up from her spot against a log. "It's so nice to see you. Please, come sit."

"Okay." Mavis stepped onto the blanket and closer to her. She sat down in front of a log, letting her back lean against it.

"What are you doing here?"

Jacob answered for her, "I'm babysitting her." Mavis kicked her foot out, hitting him in the leg. He winked at her before taking the open spot next to Leah. "Kidding. I'm just watching over her."

"Cause that sounds so much better."

"What did you do this time," Seth asked in a joking manner. He had no idea that Mavis, in fact, did something again.

"She walked into oncoming traffic."

"Did you have to say it like that?"

Jacob shrugged, "do you have any food?"

Emily smiled at him, "we were waiting for you. Sam!" She called out to him. Sam, Paul, Jared, and Embry were playing an intense game of soccer. "Food!"

That seemed to be what the four boys needed to hear. They stopped playing instantly and ran over. Mavis watched as they approached, "oh hey, Mavis." Embry greeted her. "Good to see you."

Sam hopped over the blanket and dropped beside Emily. Jared and Embry quickly took the two open spots next to Jacob. That left one spot for Paul. It happened to be directly next to her.