Chapter 65

December 31, 2007

Mavis walked through the woods with her parents in silence. They were heading into a situation that would end in one of two ways. One, a fight. Two, a peaceful resolution. Mavis had hoped they would walk away peacefully but knew there was a chance they wouldn't.

Against both her parent's wishes, she accompanied them. They wanted her safe in the hotel room back in Seattle, but that wasn't who she was. Leaving when Paul asked her too would have been a mistake. Her family could die today, and she needed to be with them in this fight. Even if it meant she would die as well.

Alice glanced at her, feeling a sense of worry. Although she was confident in how the day would end, there was still a chance things could change. She didn't plan for Mavis to be there but should have known better. Jasper was terrible at telling her no.

"You ready," Jasper asked the two as they approached the tree line. Mavis could faintly see the two groups separated in the clearing. Her family on one side, and the Volturi on the other.

Alice nodded, and Mavis did the same. Together, the three stepped out of trees. This was it. There was no going back now. Mavis's black boots crunched in the freshly fallen snow. All eyes went to them. Each group attempted to figure out what the three were doing. Three days ago, Mavis vanished into thin air. Her family and friends had no idea where she went. Now, she had returned with Alice and Jasper.

Mavis looked forward, eyes only on Aro. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a single silver wolf move. It was easy to figure out who it was. It was Paul. He seemed to want to go after her, but Sam kept him from doing so.

Her heart was racing as they approached the Volturi. They sent out several guards to stop them. Two grabbed Mavis by arms and kept her from moving. "My dear, sweet, Alice," Aro greeted her. "We are so glad to see you. And you, my beautiful Mavis." Mavis glared at him. "So lovely to finally meet you."

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind," she explained. That got Aro's attention. "Let me show you." Mavis had never been this close to the Volturi before. They had never met before this. She only heard the stories.

"Brother," Caius was cautious.

Aro waved her closer, and Alice pushed the men off of her. Without saying a word, she approached him. The man holding Jasper slapped him for no reason. Jasper was unbothered and struggled against their grip. Mavis's attention was only on her mother as Aro took her hand.

Start of Alice's Vision

Mavis felt as if her senses were overcome with fear and panic. As if she was feeling a thousand different fears all at once. It was overwhelming, and something told her what would happen next wouldn't be good. "It doesn't matter what I show you," she ripped her hand away from him. "Even when I show you, you still won't change your mind." Alice spun around and mouthed something to Bella that Mavis couldn't see.

Mavis watched as Bella spoke to Jacob, who had Renesmee on his back. Jacob spun around took off into the woods with the young girl.

"Get them," Caius said to a man.

Alice spun around and kicked her leg. What she did next took everyone by surprise. She kicked Aro in the jaw, sending him flying through the air. Mavis watched as he soared through the air and over the guards. He landed in the back, sliding to a stop. When he stood up, he was angry.

A few guards ran forward and grabbed Alice, who struggled against them. Aro walked through the group, putting the Cullens on edge. They were prepared for a fight. "Take her away," Aro spoke. "Both of them." The men holding Mavis tightened their grip and began to drag her away.