Chapter 47

Day after day, the same thing. Stay indoors, watch over Bella, and research about the baby. It was hard for everyone. Each day Bella got worse. She looked sick, like she was dying. In truth, she was dying. They all knew it, but nobody wanted to say it. They had hope in the beginning, but each day that hope faded.

Mavis was in charge of keeping Jacob, Seth, and Leah fed. The only problem was that there wasn't enough food in the house. They barely had enough for her to get by as it was. Mavis knew they needed to eat more than she did. It started simple. She would skip breakfast and eat a late lunch, only having a snack in the evening. Then it progressed to a little less each time. The others needed to stay strong in case something happened. In case they were attacked by the pack.

She was struggling with her breakup. It was hard to cope when she knew Paul was watching. Just outside of view, deep in the trees, he stood. Day and night, watching the house. Waiting for the moment any of them left so that they could attack. Mavis hated that she couldn't see him, but she could always feel his eyes on her. Everywhere she went in the house, his eyes followed her. It was nauseating.

It was easier not to think about it, which was why she started a movie. Mavis kept her eyes on the screen, doing anything in her power not to look out the window. Emmett paced by the glass, his eyes scanning over the trees. Her family was starving. They hadn't eaten in weeks. Mavis was starting to understand that pain. She was hungry constantly. To try and make the hunger subside, she drank hot chocolate, lots of it.

The TV blasted an old movie that Carlisle enjoyed, but he wasn't in the room. Mavis had no idea where he was. Edward and Bella weren't there either. There was a heavy silence between everyone in the room. Emmett was still by the window. Rosalie was in the study. Jacob, Seth, and Leah were on patrol. Alice was beside her, eyes on the book in front of her. Jasper was surprisingly captivated by the movie that was playing.

Mavis glanced out the window, but there was nothing out there that she could see. It was too dark. She knew Paul was out there watching her. She turned back towards the screen and pulled the blanket over her shoulders. Normally, she would have Paul to keep her warm. She didn't have him anymore. Mavis tried to bury her feelings, not wanting to break down in front of her family. They all knew by now. Jacob had overheard the conversation, and Edward could read his mind. However, nobody was talking about it.

Alice glanced at Mavis, noticing how her lip quivered ever so slightly. Silently she set down the book. Not wanting to alarm her daughter, and moved closer. Mavis didn't realize Alice was by her side till her arm was over her shoulders. The blonde girl glanced at the dark-haired woman. There were no words that were spoken, just a mutual understanding.

Mavis curled into her side, feeling the last few day's events start to take over. All she wanted was for it to be over. For the baby to be born and Bella to become a vampire.

It seemed, if Bella survived, that moving away would be easier now. Mavis wouldn't have to worry now that she had broken up with Paul. Things would never go back to how they were before. She knew breaking things off was the right choice. It hurt, that much was true, but Paul was a different person to her now. They could never go back to how things were before.

If Bella died, Mavis wasn't sure what would happen next. She feared that Edward would leave again and never return. But the rest of the group was a mystery. What would happen if Bella died? "Mom," Mavis whispered.

Alice looked at her, "yes, sweetheart?"

Mavis glanced at her. "What's going to happen to us if Bella dies?" Alice looked across the room at Jasper. "Will we split up?"

"I'm not sure," her voice was gentle. "But I know that we'll never be apart, okay?" That wasn't what Mavis was concerned about. She was worried about the rest of her family and what would happen to them. Mavis wasn't a vampire. She could not live forever. If Edward left, there was no guarantee she would ever see him again. Mavis sighed, not having her question answered. She refocused on the TV. Alice pushed the hair out of Mavis's face and kissed the top of her head. Jasper watched them closely, his dark eyes enjoying the tender moment. They hadn't had a lot of those moments recently. "Why don't you get some rest?"

Mavis hummed in agreement. She was completely exhausted. "Just a quick nap, okay."

Alice smiled and grabbed a pillow for her to use. "Of course." Mavis moved out of her grasp and laid down on the couch to rest as best she could. However, the negative thoughts remained as she fell into a dreamless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Mavis prepared three sandwiches, successfully using the last of the bread, chicken, and mayonnaise they had. It wouldn't be the most flavorful sandwich in the world, but it was the best they could do. She ignored the way her stomach rumbled at the sight of food. Not eating anything was taking a massive toll on her. She felt weak in every part of her body.

"So," Emmett kicked his legs back and forth. He looked like a schoolboy sitting on top of the kitchen counter. "How are you holding up after your breakup?"

Mavis glared at him, taking a deep breath. "You're horrible at starting conversations, Emmett."

He chuckled, "sorry." She waited for him to continue, "how are you feeling? I know it hasn't been easy on you."

Till now, she believed she had been hiding her emotions well. "What do you mean?" Mavis wrapped the sandwiches in brown paper. "I'm fine."

Emmett watched her carefully. "You don't have to pretend with me."

Mavis's movements falter. For a moment, her emotions get the best of her. It was easier to pretend that everything was fine, but nothing was fine. There was a piece of her missing. She didn't feel complete anymore. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mavis," he tries again. They always spoke to each other about personal problems. The Cullens were a family, that much was true, but Mavis and Emmett had a deep friendship. They were best friends in a sense. "I know that the bond you have with him is like what we feel with mates." Emmett was the only person in the house that understood that. "I couldn't imagine if I lost Rosalie." Mavis knew he was trying to help, but even thinking about Paul was painful. "The point is, it's okay if you're not really okay. You don't have to pretend with us, especially me."

"I'm fine, really," Mavis continued to lie. "Should have known better, you know? I guess that whats I get for liking a werewolf." Emmett's eyes are black and full of sorrow. "I'm going to give these to wolves outside."

He scans the sandwiches, "only three?"

"Yeah," she shrugged. "Last of the bread and everything else."

"What are you going to eat?"

Mavis hesitates, "not sure yet. I'm not that hungry. I'll figure it out later."

As she walks out of the room, he follows. "When was the last time you had anything to eat?"

She thinks about his words but doesn't remember. "I don't know, Emmett. I don't exactly keep track. I had a big breakfast." She didn't eat breakfast. Pushing open the back door, the blonde slips out and quickly rushes down the steps away from him. It was not a conversation she wanted to have.

Seth spots her first. A smile on his face when he sees the food in her hand. "Oh great, I'm starving."

"You're always hungry," Mavis laughed. He happily took the sandwich from her. Jacob followed, grabbing his lunch. However, Leah simply stares at her. She didn't eat as much of the food that was provided. "Okay, I know you don't like us, but you need to eat." Everyone waited for one of them to move, "eat, now. Please." Leah huffed but took a sandwich. "Thank you." Leah didn't respond and turned around. Once Mavis was satisfied, she spun around on her heel and walked towards the house.