Chapter 6

Mavis went to bed early, and the others were downstairs waiting for Edward and Bella to get back. Emmett and Jasper had gone out to track down a scent that Edward had found in Bella's room. Alice sat with Rosalie while Carlisle was near Esme. 

The waiting was the worst part. Edward had given them no answers. They had no idea what to expect. Meanwhile, Mavis was fast asleep. But her dreams were getting worse. 

Carlisle rested a hand on the wall, trying to think. Everyone else was deep in conversation, but he wasn't, which was why he noticed Mavis. She was walking slowly down the hall. Her hair was messy, and she was wearing pajamas. "Mavis, were we being too loud?"

Usually, the girl came downstairs to ask them to be quiet. Since they didn't sleep, their voices would often wake her up. What was odd was her silence. Mavis didn't so much as glance at him. "Mavis," Alice questioned. Nothing happened.

Esme and Rosalie stopped talking, the group of four watching as Mavis headed straight for the door. Carlisle moved first, standing in front of the doorway to block her. Mavis stopped moving, registering someone was, in fact, in front of her. "Mavis?"

"Is she," Esme walked closer. "Is she sleepwalking?"

"I don't think so," Carlisle cautiously raised a hand. That was when he noticed that she was talking. "I think," he moved his head closer. "I think she's talking."

"It's starting," Mavis whispered. Luckily the four had superhearing and could make out the words. "It's starting."

"Mavis," Rosalie whispered unsure of what to do. "What's starting?"

"It's starting." She continued to repeat the words. Mavis said them over and over like a chant. Her posture remained the same, almost rigid in appearance.

"Wait," Carlisle grabbed Esme's hand. "Don't touch her. I don't think you should wake her."

Alice put a hand over her mouth, not sure what to do in this situation. "Mavis," she murmured. "Are you there?"

Mavis turned her head towards Alice as if she heard her. "He's coming." And suddenly, she began to fall back.

Carlisle reached out, stopping her before she hit the ground. "Mavis?"

The girl blinked a few times, looking at the man holding her. "Carlisle?"

"Oh my," he helped stand her back up. "Are you okay, love?"

Mavis glanced at her mother, unsure of what happened. "I'm fine." She looked around the room. "Why am I downstairs?"

"Do you remember anything," the man asked. "Anything at all?"

"I was dreaming," she explained. Everything was still fuzzy. "It was weird."

Esme placed a hand on her shoulder, "like the dreams before?"

"No, this was different." Mavis had never dreamed like this before. It was as if she was running from something. Before she knew it was a dream, but this felt like she was living it. She was running through the rain from something moving too fast. And then a voice whispering to her. A female voice, but Mavis didn't recognize it. "I think there was a boy."

"You said he's coming," Alice repeated. "Who's coming?"

"I don't know," she whispered. "I'm not sure. I woke up before I saw anything."

"That's my fault," Alice shook her head. "I woke you."

"Now we know," Carlisle nodded. "We don't wake you."

Suddenly, the door opened, and Edward walked in. He was holding Bella's hand. They stopped suddenly seeing the group by the door. "What's going on," Bella asked.

"Nothing," Mavis spoke first. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Bella assured her.

"Come into the living room." Mavis followed Carlisle into the next room. Alice grabbed her hand, bringing her to sit on the couch. "Edward, did you recognize this person? Was it someone we know?"

"No, a stranger," he muttered. "I didn't recognize the scent."

Esme spoke next, "a nomad crossing through?"

"Someone passing by wouldn't have left Bella's father alive." It was an ugly truth, and Mavis knew that wasn't a good sign.

"The scent vanished about five miles south of Bella's house," Jasper spoke as he marched into the room. Emmett followed after him, but his eyes were on Rosalie. 

Jasper walked around the couch, taking the free spot next to Mavis. "Someone is orchestrating this." That worried Mavis.

"Victoria," Bella questioned.

"No," Alice spoke. "I would have seen her decide."

Edward shrugged, "then it has to be the Volturi."

"I don't think so." Mavis glanced at her mom. "I've been watching Aro's decisions as well."

"Then we keep looking," Emmett argued.

"I think this person may be a male."

Edward stared at the older man, "why would you say that?"

"I think Mavis's dreams can give us an insight." Mavis shifted nervously as everyone looked at her. "We will start taking shifts at Bella's house."

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie was clearly annoyed with the situation.

"Rose," Mavis whispered. It was unfair to leave Bella without any help.

"She's right," Bella began. "You can't protect me and Mavis, watch my dad, and search for the intruder. All while keeping yourself fed."

"And Victoria," Rosalie added.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward argued.

"I won't let you starve."

"Bella and I could stay close together," Mavis added. "If we are split up, that's more work. Together saves energy." Rosalie rolled her eyes, seemingly annoyed that Mavis was taking Bella's side.

"Yeah," Bella agreed. "And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have-" but she didn't finish. Mavis knew what she was going to say. She had Jacob. He cared for her and would be willing to keep her protected.

"What," Edward wanted her to say the word. "No."

"He could help and-"

"Absolutely not," he snapped.

"Jake would be willing," Mavis came to her defense again.

"He's Jake now," Rosalie asked her. "Since when?"

"Look," it was Bella's turn. "I know you hate him, but what choice do we have?" Edward opened his mouth to argue, but he couldn't. Bella was right. They needed his help.

"It's our only option," Mavis was speaking directly to Edward. "I know you hate him, but Bella's life is more important than your personal feelings."

Jasper smirked at the comment. Edward didn't speak. Instead, he walked out of the room. Bella was quick to chase after them. "How are you feeling, Mavis?"

She rubbed her head, "tired."

"What happened," Jasper asked. His voice was full of concern. He hadn't been here when the incident happened.

"She's sleepwalking," Rosalie crossed her arms. She was still bitter that the girl took Bella's side and not hers.

"I don't think she's sleepwalking." Carlisle eyed her, "I think it has something to do with-" he didn't finish.

Alice gripped her hand, "you think?"

"I can't be sure." That was his honest answer, "I'll look into it. For now, why don't you go back to bed?"

"I don't think I can sleep." Mavis feared what would happen in her dreams.

"That's okay," Alice said. She didn't want to make her do anything she didn't want to. "We can watch a movie or something."

"A movie sounds great." Mavis wasn't in a movie mood but knew it was the best option. Because right now, anything was better than sleeping.