Chapter 34

Word count: 2740

Follow me to get updates on my works ♥️

Rosa's POV

*

The next evening, Gonzalo came home early and was able to join us at the dinner table.

This would be the third or fourth time I would having dinner or any meal, for that matter at the dining. I always ate in the room with my siblings because the house was so big and there was no way I would come downstairs just to have breakfast or dinner.

And lunch was out of it because on most days, I would still be at work.

Josephine and Nick Rodriguez arrived just when the diner was being set so they joined us at the dining.

Immediately they walked over, their eyes were already looking around as if searching for something. When they landed on Leo and Greta, their eyes widened and they looked at each other.

While her husband heaved a sigh, Josephine's eyes displayed an expression that I could only term as despair and deep sadness.

My gaze flickered to Greta, who Leo was telling something and she was replying him. My heart warmed at the harmonious air surrounding them.

"They're now so grown." Josephine placed her right palm on her chest, heaving a deep sigh and staring longingly.

"Please, have your seat." I motioned for her to take her seat and she did so, making sure she took a seat beside Greta.

Warily, I eyed her and began walking around the table to the other side where the three were sitting but Gonzalo grabbed my arm. I looked down at him and he shook his head.

"Sit beside me." He stated but his eyes were pleading. I did as instructed and sat right between him and his dad who was on my right.

"Hello young man. You're Leo right?" Josephine quickly struck a conversation with Leo, who turned to give her a look.

Politely, he nodded. "Yes ma'am. Good evening." He greeted.

Josephine's eyes brightened at his words and then she chuckled, sitting up. "I used to carry you when you were a baby. You've grown so tall and are now a young dashing man!" She narrated.

She used to carry him when he was a baby? How come I never knew of her existence all these while? Just how close were Gonzalo's parents- my in-laws with my parents? Being kept in the dark was really beginning to get disturbing.

Leonardo was always a curious person. He loved knowing things about people and loved asking questions or finding out people's intentions. But at the moment, his expression wasn't showing any intrigue or curiosity.

If I didn't know better judging from his tone, he even sounded like he didn't want to talk to her.

"I don't remember that time. But thanks for the compliment ma'am." He replied curtly.

"You're welcome! I-"

"Mum, please no talking at the dinner table." Gonzalo reprimanded, sounding harsh and uncaring.

Josephine on the other hand threw him a look, clearing her throat as she stole me a glance and when she saw I was already staring at her, she looked away with guilt in her eyes.

What's wrong with everyone in my life? Does she know something else now? If not, why is she acting this way towards my siblings?

"Thank you God Almighty for life. God bless this food. Provide for the needy and draw us closer to you. Amen." His father prayed.