Chapter 12

Word count: 2649

You guys are golden. And you deserve the best. ❤😍
My shout out goes to Denver, Rio, Nairobi and Oslo. 😆😆😆

*

I didn't sleep at all last night.

My face was swollen when I woke up this morning. I had eye bags and I had catarrh and cough. One that needed serious and immediate attention so it wouldn't stay longer in my system or get transferred to my siblings.

Or boss.

Speaking of boss, my gaze traveled towards him and I heaved a soft sigh.

He had this weird smile on his face since morning. And he hadn't snapped at all today.

That was a good sign though, if only he'd stop staring so intently at me.

I went back to the appointments Adam had scheduled for Gonzalo this weekend. They'd been properly reviewed by me but they were yet to be equally crosschecked by Adam before getting transferred to Gonzalo.

"Romeo." I called and Romeo appeared by my side immediately. Gonzalo insisted I transfer all my things from my office, which was beside his, into his own office. His office was extended into mine, for more space. Meaning there was no demarcation between our offices anymore.

"Did you brief Adam on the reports?"

"Yes." He nodded.

"Speaking of Adam, why has he been taking some days off since the past one week?"

"Family issues."

"Like?"

"His girl is pregnant and she usually has a fit...sometimes."

I frowned. "Has this happened before?"

How come I'd never met her if she'd done so? Not like I was ever away from the office, since I worked inside the same space as Gonzalo.

"Yes." Romeo's response cut me off my wandering thoughts and assumptions.

So, this had happened before.

I gestured for him to go on when he just kept staring at me. "Well? Go on. When did it happen? I want to know all about it. He's not being paid to take occasional leaves and take care of his girlfriend whenever he feels like it."

"Last year. She miscarried after their second attempt at having a child...so he is being careful this time." Romeo grimaced, looking uncomfortable to be sharing this information. I could totally understand him.

I sighed. "Okay then. Tell him to see me when he resumes work. We're both Gonzalo's assistants so I think he needs to explain himself instead of right out awarding himself some free days. That's all."

He nodded and went back to his desk.

"Rosa?"

"Sir?"

"Come here."

I left my table and went to meet him.

"What were you discussing with him?" He nudged his chin in Romeo's direction.

"He was briefing me on Adam. Adam has taken so many days off in the past few days so I asked about it."

Gonzalo frowned. "Yes...where is Adam at the moment? I've only seen him once this week."

"I was told he has some...issues. Family issues. I've not called him though. I'm hoping he'll call you and explain the situation so I won't have to do that."

"Give him till this noon and if he doesn't call, then tell him to see me. If something is wrong, I don't like when my employees act shady about it. Talk to me instead. I'm not a monster after all." He complained and I nodded. Turning around, I was about to head back to my seat but I stopped when he cleared his throat. "Er, Rosa."