Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Zach.

She told me it was all just a dream, but I knew better. They were trying to protect me, but I could see behind the lies. I was used to it, the lying. They thought they knew me, I proved them wrong.

Cora.

I watched as she wrote the words so fluently. Her name is Miya. I saw it on her binder. Miya Stewart.

Hayley.

I knew what she was doing, she was trying to pressure me into talking. Her face was red from yelling at me. We were at lunch, in the courtyard, and it was beautiful. The red roses sending nice fragrances around. The first time I notice this I'm getting yelled at by Kylie.

I walked away, I could feel her eyes glaring at my back as I ate my sandwhich. Roast beef. Yum.

Zach.

I could hear, hear the cars zooming by me, the birds chirping. Everything. It was bliss, and for once I was happy. I took out the notebook, I could write. I wrote and wrote and wrote, and it all came out in choppy sentances, but I was writing. I heard her calling for me, Leslie. The girl with the sock monkey hat. She was wearing ripped jeans, rolled up to her knees. Her shirt was dotted with vegetables, her red hair confined in a loose braid.

"Hey!"

I walked up to her and smiled. I had often practiced smiling, in the mirror, and it would wind up looking like a grimace, forced. But now, I knew that it looked happy, because that's exactly what I was. Happy.

Hayley.

It was happening again. Their fighting was disgusting, I would always try to help, but he would hit me. George. I hated him. He was mean and nasty and had a nose shaped like a banana, but they forced me to live with him. Because I'm too young, or too naive. I think I can defend myself, I did escape.

But when I thought that, I regreted it. They didn't know, they'd never know. Not Cora, or Zach, or George, or anybody. They would never find out how we got out. Never.

Cora.

She asked me my name. She waited and waited, and then, I said it. It was low and raspy, and sounded horrible, but I had talked. No one noticed. Not one person. But she noticed, her face was shocked, but then she smiled. I laughed, a big happy laugh, and this time I didn't care because everyone was laughing along to an unspoken joke. I smiled.