CHAPTER 6 - THE SECRET

SEONYOUNG

The manager picked me up with a driver the next morning. Apparently he knew my address. That was pretty creepy. But maybe people with connection had their own way to get information about commoners like me. We rode back to the destination in silent. When we arrived, he asked for my phone and handed it to the butler. It wasn't a house, but a large apartment unit. The manager told me to follow him. I walked past the living room, the dining/kitchen area and then toward the first room on the right. He turned around to face me before warning me.

"Whatever you see inside this room, you're not supposed to tell it to anyone. I repeat, not to anyone. Not even to me, or Jinyoung. Especially not Jinyoung. Keep it to yourself until the day you die. If it's medical related, then tell me that it's about the twin. Just say it like that. Understood?" He was saying in such an exaggarate manner that I became curious. What would I encounter behind this door? I nodded and he started to open the door.

The room was a bit dark, but as my eyes started to make adjustment with the low light room, I started to see what was inside the room. There was this patient bed right in the middle of the room. A man was lying on the bed. He was attached to a ventilator machine and of course some IVs and cathether and NG tube as well. Standing beside the bed was another person, I was guessing it was the nurse. She looked shocked as well. The manager scolded the nurse and she immediately gathered herself and started working.

"She will be in charge of standing by and taking care of the patient. You will be in charge for monitoring his condition. If he needed added medication or nutrition, you're the one who will be responsible for it. He's awake, but he's sleeping now. For the ventilator, we had another anesthesiologist on stand by. But he was planning to wean him from the machine. I'm guessing next week he will be off from the machine but probably still need oxygen support. Any question?" I shook my head. The manager then handed me all the things I'd need to check the patient as well as his status. It was quite thick.

"Can I bring this home with me to study or not?" I asked him.

"No. Learn it here, takes note, whatever you need. It just have to stay here," he ordered.

I looked at the pile of medical records. How long has this patient been sick? It would take quite some time to learn all of his status. And I was thinking of going home early to take some nap before my night duty. I grunted and started to open the medical records and took notes. After taking notes for almost an hour, I at least got the idea about the patient. I went into the room again and was planning on checking the patient. But the patient was awake this time. So I bowed before going near the bed. When I finally got a better view of the patient, I was surprised when I saw the patient's face. No wonder the nurse was shocked earlier.

JINYOUNG

I coudn't seem to focus today on the set. I kept making small mistakes. Thus I had to apologize numerous times, bowing and smiling while saying "Sorry.." Gee, it was so tiring being a nice person. I was curious thinking her reaction when she stepped into the room. Would she be surprised? Would she feel cheated? Would she keep her mouth shut? Or would she bail out? So many questions ran in my head and I wanted to go home to know how it went. I slapped myself so I could concentrate better. The faster I finished my shoot, the faster I would find out the truth. I walked back to the set, determined to end the shooting fast.

"So, how was she?" I asked my manager once I was inside the car.

"She's doing well for her first day," he answered.
"Did she say something after going in the room?" I asked out of curiosity.
"No. She's quite composed for her first day. But the nurse was a different story. I was worried about her. She might not last that long," my manager continued. But I didn't care. The nurse could quit. It was her that I cared about.

"What about her schedules?"

"She's going to be on night duty for two days and a day off." I cursed and my manager scolded me. I might forget and cursed at the set if I didn't stop the habit. It would be a problem considering there were several scandals happened to some rising actors/actresses. I had to be careful as I was next in line. People have been talking about me as one of the rising star, so I had to be extra more careful now.

I was patient to wait to the day after she finished her night duty. On her day off, she was supposed to come in the morning after she got off from the hospital. I told my manager to arrange my schedule a bit later than usual. I wanted to supervise her, I told him my reason. Luckily my manager agreed as she was still new so he did as I requested. She was picked up by the driver, and I heard the sound of the security code being punched in at the door. Seconds later the butler asked for her phone and she handed it to him. I could see that she was tired.

"Good morning," I tried to look cheerful. The nurse apparently came with her, so I had to act as usual. "Do you have any breakfast yet?" She was surprised to hear my greetings. She looked at me as if I was possessed.

"Good morning, and no, I haven't had any breakfast yet." She raised her eyebrow while answering. I told the nurse to keep on going but told her to wait. I waited until the nurse was out of hearing range before talking back to her.

"Well then, join me for breakfast?" I waved to the table. Luckily I haven't eaten my breakfast yet. I pulled out a chair for her and she still looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo. But she sat down.

"Are you possessed?" Finally she managed to say whatever in her mind. I laughed at her comment.

"Can't I be nice?"

"Well, nice and you are not compatible. Just get to the point, why are you being nice?" she crossed her arms in front of her chest and waited for my answer.

"If you haven't noticed yet, I am nice. Ask people around. I am nice. I am popular for being nice." It was true though. I have maintained a good and nice image for almost a year now. If someone told people that I wasn't nice, then people would think they were crazy. She still looked at me with 'I don't believe you' look.

I chuckled at her, "Come on, just eat. Let's say we have a bad start, so start over?" She still didn't believe me.

"Okay fine," I gave up. "I wanted to see your reaction."

"About what?" she raised an eyebrow.

"About your new job."

"It's just a job. What about it?" she answered nonchalantly. I looked at her curiously. Did she seriously not know what was going on here? Did she not know the importance of keeping her new job a secret? If anything inside that room was leaked to the press, then I would be done.

"No comment?" I pestered.

"No. I thought I'm not supposed to talk about it to anyone, and by anyone, doesn't it include you?" I thought for awhile. This one seemed a tough cookie. "Just eat," I told her. And she gave up. She started to dig in her food. I took out a big breath. I hoped she really could keep a secret. I hoped she could be a regular here. I wished for someone else that could accept my situation aside from my manager. It's been tiring to hide the fact for so long.