Grown-up Conversation

Start from the beginning

So that's what today is. 

The boys are getting into some comfy clothes because we don't plan on going back out today, while I am preparing snacks and popcorn for our movie marathon. I have let them choose the films, and I saw the title of one, something like 'the hitman's bodyguard.' It's meant to be really funny, but we will see. But before we start our little movie marathon I need to have a serious discussion with the boys about two things.

Their father.

And Y/n. 

They are 14 now, so are able to make their own decisions about if they want to keep seeing their father or not. Also their opinions on Y/n. Now don't get me wrong I believe the boys love her, especially with how I found them last Sunday but it is always worth checking in and having a grown up conversation with them instead of just guessing. 

"Mom, are you still with us?" I shake my head, coming back to reality at the sound of Tommy's voice.

"Sorry, what? I was a million miles away." Tommy's brows scrunch with concern.

"Yeah I could tell. I've been trying to get your attention for a few minutes. Is everything okay?" 

"Everything is fine Tommy, just lost in thought. Why don't you and your brother get settled on the couch while I get changed. I need to speak to you both before we relax." Billy appears in the kitchen at that moment. 

"Are we in trouble?" Billy looks to the floor as he asks, so I make my way over to both of them and cup both their faces with my hands making sure they are looking at me as I speak.

"Absolutely not. It is the farthest from you being in trouble. We just need to have a grown-up conversation about a few things. Okay?" I bring them in to cuddle, well Billy cuddles us as he is the tallest out of the three of us. Damn height difference.

"Is it about dad?" Billy asks timidly.

"And some other things, but yes mainly your dad. But we are not having this conversation huddled in the kitchen. Go sit down, I won't be longer than two minutes." 

"Okay. Love you mom." Billy let's go as he shuffles towards the couches.

"Love you mom." Tommy gives me a small squeeze before joining his brother on the couch.

"Love you guys too. Two minutes."

I make my way into my room, searching my draws for some comfy clothes. I decide to go with some sweatpants and one of Y/n's t-shirts and hoodie, I smell the collar of the jumper and sigh when all I can smell is her. I grab some fluffy socks as well, who doesn't love fluffy socks, as it is starting to get colder outside as well as inside. Once I'm happy that I am in the comfiest clothes ever, I start to head back to the living room flicking the heating on as I walk past the thermostat. The boys are both on the same couch, but on separate ends with a blanket over the both of them. A smile creeps on my face at the sight, but drops when I realise the conversation I am about to have with them. 

I clear my throat as I sit down on the coffee table in front of them, wanting to give them my full attention as I talk with them instead of sitting next to them and seeing the sides of their heads. I tap the empty space in the middle of the couch in front of me, and the boys get the silent request and move to sit in front of me. I rest my hands on one of their knees each and take a deep breath as I look up to the ceiling trying to compose myself. 

I let out a laugh when my phone interrupts me, and smile when I see who has messaged me; giving a small apology to the boys as I reply.

Dorogoy: I have finished early, I will be heading to yours soon. Is there anything you need before I show up?