Under The Cherry Tree ~ Japan X Reader

You sat in Kiku's yard, staring up at the pink cherry blossoms. The soft petals drifted down slowly, some brushing up against your (s/c) cheeks. You turned your face up towards the sky and closed your (e/c) eyes, absorbing the sunlight.
Little did you know, Kiku was standing in his doorway, holding a tray stacked with two cups of green tea. He was watching you, a soft smile on his face.
All of a sudden, you turned towards him and smiled. "Hey, Kiku!" You smile cheerfully.
Kiku nearly drops the tray. He can't believe that he had been caught staring. Sooooo embarrassing...
"H-hello, (Y/n)." He answered, moving towards you.
He sat on his knees across from you and passed you a cup of sweet smelling green tea. "Thank you." You beamed at him.
He blushed and looked down at his tea. "You're welcome."
The two of you sat in silence, sipping at your tea. You shifted awkwardly. "So... how was your day?"
Kiku looked up at you. "It was good. Mostly because you're here."
You looked away blushing. "Mine was good too. It's because I'm in good company."
There was another awkward silence.
Just tell him. You glanced up at Kiku through your long eyelashes.
"Hey Kiku-"
"(Y/n)-"
You both speak at the same time. Your eyes widden and you bowed your head. "My apologies," You spoke quickly. "You were about to say something?"
Kiku shook his head. "No you go first."
You stare at him for a second and get the nervous sweats. You were going to regret this. Ooooh you were soooo going to regret this, but, you sucked it up and told him anyway. "I like you!" You nearly yelled, then slapped your hands over your mouth, your face burning bright red.
Kiku's face was also red. "Oh." He said. There was a silence. "Are you done your tea?" He broke the silence.
Shit. Your heart clenched but you nodded and pushed the half empty cup towards him. He took it and placed it back on the tray along with his cup. He stands up and walks back into the house, leaving you alone in the yard.
You sigh heavily and place your face in your hands. I knew it. You scolded yourself. He doesn't return your feelings you idiot. You desperately hold back tears. I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.
"(Y/n)-chan?" You head Kiku's voice and look up. He stands above you, eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Are you ok?"
You take a deep breath and nod. "Y-yes." Your voice shook. You stood up. "I think I should head home now." You looked away.
Kiku nodded. "Maybe you should. It's about to get dark."
You nodded, a lump forming in your throat and turned away. Suddenly, you felt a warm hand grab yours. You glanced back and saw Kiku looking at you with big, sad brown eyes. "Be safe, (Y/n)."
You pulled your hand away and nodded.

**********************

You and Kiku hadn't spoken since you confessed. At first, you were sad but your good friend Matthew was there to comfort you. He never asked why you were feeling so down and you appreciated that.
A week after the confession, you and Matthew were curled up on the couch together, watching a hockey game. You were really getting into it when the doorbell rang. You glanced at Matthew who shrugged.
Since it was your house, it was your duty to answer, so that's exactly what you did. When you opened the door, you saw Kiku standing on your doorstep, crying.
"I've made a terrible mistake." He chokes.
"Oh my god." You frown and put your hands on his shoulders. "Are you ok? What happened?" The worry in your voice was evident.
Intrigued by the commotion, Matthew joined you at the door. "Is everything al-" He stopped short when he saw Kiku. "What happened?"
"I didn't tell her." Kiku looked down guiltily.
"Tell who what?" You asked in a soft voice.
"I didn't tell you that I loved you! Now it's too late!" He yelled.
You were taken aback by the fact he yelled. "W-what?" You stuttered, trying to process the words you had just heard.
Kiku advanced towards you and placed his hands on your cheeks. "I love you." He repeated, staring into your (e/c) eyes.
You stood there, unsure of how to react. Not one week ago had you told him how you felt and he simply walked away. "B-but you said-"
"No!" Kiku cut you off, giving your head a slight shake. "I didn't say anything and that was my mistake!"
He was in a total fluster, acting frantically. You grabbed his wrists. "Kiku!" You tried to calm him down. "Why do you think my feelings for you have changed in the past week? I can't get you out of my head."
"That's my cue to return to the game..." Matthew mutters quietly and retreats to the living room.
You and Kiku stare at eachother. You were just itching to lean forward and kiss him, but you were still confused.
Luckily, Kiku was braver than you.
He lunged forward and brought your lips together in a sweet kiss. You wers taken aback and didn't know what to do with your hands so you grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him in closer. Your chest swelled witb happiness.
And to think that this all started with a love confession under a cherry tree...