Letters ~ Germany X Reader

You lay in bed, staring at the ceiling.  There had been a war running rampant in your country for almost a year now.  Your best friend and housemate, Ludwig, had been sent to the front lines. 

Yep.  It was one of those wars. 

You sighed and sat up, glancing around your room.  The light from outside filtered through your window and gave a grey tinge to your surroundings.  Your eyes landed on your desk where an unopened letter sat.  You had only just received it yesterday.

You forced your self to get up, trudge over to your desk and heavily sat down.  The letter open smoothly as you slit the top of the envelope with a letter opener. 

Then paper inside was slightly crumpled but the words written upon it were written with care. 

Dear (Y/n),
Life on the front is not getting much better.  We can barely get through one night without being shelled or shot at.  I am still alive and so is Gilbert.  We just wanted you to know that.  Hopefully we will be back soon.  I cannot wait to see your face again. 
Neither can Gilbert.  (He requested I write this).
Food is scarce but when we do get the chance to eat, we eat well.  There is nothing better than a nice meal of stale crackers and moldy cheese.  I am being sarcastic, if you were not aware. 
I do not know if my letters have been getting to you, seeing you are not allowed to write back, but I send one everyday, or try to at least.
The worst part about being away from you and not knowing if you are receiving my letters, is that Berlin might have been bombed and for all I know, and you are still living at the house.  I might be coming back to a disintegrated home, a pile of unread letters and a dead (Y/n).  I try not to think of it.
I must try to get some sleep now.
Also, the runner is waiting for me to submit my letter and if I do not do it now, I won't have the chance to do it until tomorrow.  Maybe even until next week.  It is never clear when the runners come and go. 
It is never the same runner twice. 
Until I see you again,
Ludwig.

You sigh and fold the letter up again, putting it back in it's envelope,  before pulling out your own stationary and pen.  You put your pen to the paper and begin to write. 

Dear Ludwig,
Life is dull back in Berlin.  Everything is grey and we are no longer allowed to turn the lights on at night.  I miss you a lot.  I even miss Gilbert.  You said in your letter today that you don't know if I am receiving the letters and I wish I could tell you that I am.  But I am not allowed to send letters back. 
I am not dead yet. 
Food is also scarce here but thanks to your impeccable planning, I still have quite a few non-perishables left in the cellar.  I hope that you do not mind me eating them.  I also give a can to every starving child that stumbles up to the door. 
I miss you.
Please know that I write back to you every day.  I am going to give my letters to you when you return so you know that I never for a moment stopped thinking about you.
Please come home safely.
With love,
(Y/n).

A stray tear slipped down your cheek as you slipped your letter into the same envelope as Ludwig's letter and put it on top of the pile of other letters.  You never forgot to add the date on the envelope, so he could read the in chronological order. 

***********************

A few weeks later, you were sitting in the kitchen, sewing patches into your worn out clothes when a loud knock came at your door.  You looked up from your work and frowned.  You weren't expecting anyone. 

You put your work down and got up, making your way to the front door.  The door had a row of small glass windows across the top, but they were to high for anyone to see out of.  So, whoever was on the other side of the door was a mystery to you. 

You swung the door open and-

"FRAÜLEIN!" Gilbert latched himself around your neck in a tight hug. 

You shrieked in surprise and jabbed him in the ribs as hard as you could.  You had developed self defense habits over the years.  However, he didn't let you go.  Once you realized who was hugging you, you relaxed.  "G-Gilbert?"

Gilbert put you down and stared into your (e/c) eyes lovingly.  "You're alive." He said in relief.

"Vhat," A deeper voice said from behind him.  "Did jou ever doubt zhat?"

Gilbert moved out of the way so you could see your best friend standing in the doorway.  "Ludwig!" You cried and jumped at him, hugging him around the chest.  The force of it sent you both toppling backwards out of the house.  You shower his cheeks, forehead and nose with kisses.  "You're alive!  I never doubted you but oh my god!" Tears started spilling.  

Ludwig laughed and lifted you off him, standing up.  "I missed you to, liebe."

Gilbert rolled his eyes.  "Get a room."

Ludwig glared at his older brother as he carried you into the house.  You burried your face in his neck.  "I love you," You cried.  "So much."

Ludwig's body vibrated when he laughed.  "Love you too."

He set you down on your bed and kneeled on the floor in front of you wipping your tears away with his thumbs.  "I got all of your letters." You say smiling through the tears.  You stand up and walk over to your desk, gathering the basket of envelopes.  You turned back to him.  "I wrote back." You extended your arms so he could take the basket from you. 

He smiled gently and took the basket.  "Danke." He said.  "I will read zhem."

You smiled and wipped your happy tears off your cheeks.  "Now go get cleaned up."

Ludwig smiles and left your room, but not before planting a kiss on your forehead first.

Later that night, midnight to be exact, you go downstairs for a glass of water.  After sipping at it thoughtfully for a few moments, you heard a sob coming form the living room.  You fround and followed the sorrowful sound.  You peeked into the living room. 

Ludwig sat on the couch, letters scattered around him.  He held one in his hand.  You approach him slowly, making no noise and place a hand on his shoulder.  Before you can even say his name, he grabs your wrist, yanks you over the couch and pins you underneath him, a paranoid look in his eyes.

"I-I heard you c-crying-" You stutter but are soon cut off by Ludwig's lips on yours.  Before you have time to register what had just happened, he broke the kiss and stared deep into your (e/c) eyes.  "The thought of coming home to you kept me alive, (Y/n)." He kisses you again.  "Ich liebe dich." He says against your lips.