I laughed at his worried face. "No I'm not. You sound like my life is in danger."

He shook his head. "It is, actually. That man is bad news. Boss must immediately be notified about what happened though he won't be pleased and he'll probably give those reckless bodyguards some good punishment before firing them. I also won't be spared."

His words had me frowning deeply. "Then don't tell him."

I didn't even want to imagine the type of punishment Gonzalo would give him if he discovered what happened when he wasn't at home.

My words had Romeo smiling a little like I'd just told him a joke but be didn't give me any response.

"Who is that man Brent was talking about? I mean, is he really Gonzalo's brother?"

"It's not my story to tell, boss lady, I'm sorry."

"Hold up, stop calling me boss lady and tell me what I need to know because an asshole just threatened my life and also sent a deranged being to come and give me a warning, whatever that meant. The point is, I need to know. His sender knows a little too much about me, down to my siblings and all."

"Boss will be back from his meeting soon."

"Yes, the same meeting April told me to come to but Gonzalo insisted on going himself and ordering you guys to keep me in this damn office."

He didn't respond and just went back to continue his work before stepping out briefly. About twenty minutes later, he returned with a pack of chicken and a can of Pepsi.

"For me?" I grinned.

Romeo merely nodded.

"Aww, thanks Romeo you're such a nice guy and you have the tendency of being so adorable and cute sometimes. Haha." I laughed at his serious expression.

Just then, I realized he was on his phone, and then he pressed something on it, raising it up.

"What?" I chuckled at the weird act as he eyed me as if he was trying to drive a point home which I still wasn't getting.

"You just called me cute-"

"Don't tell Gonzalo about what I just said though." I added playfully.

"And what else have you been telling him? What's so special that you have to share with Romeo and I must not hear about it?" Gonzalo's voice suddenly rang from the phone.

Romeo!

I glared at him but he avoided my scathing gaze.

Who knew he was on a call with Gonzalo all along and Gonzalo practically heard me calling another man adorable and cute?

Even though I said it playfully, his brain wouldn't obviously register it that way.

"It's not what you think." I shouted and grabbed the phone.

"Famous line ever used by approximately ninety percent of cheaters in the world."

"I promise you it isn't what it seems like, Gonzalo."

"Okay. I will take a while longer here. Don't wait up." And with that he ended the call.

Angry, I threw the phone at Romeo and he caught it with his hard rock expression which suddenly appeared very annoying to me.

"Why didn't you tell me the phone was on speaker? Now I have to coax that jealous man." I scowled.

"I didn't say anything, I thought you would've gotten the point that he was the one who ordered it and had it delivered but you made your own conclusions."

"Whatever, get back to work."

He sighed and we went back to work.

I sent a heart and kiss emoji to Gonzalo on my messenger, which he only read but didn't reply.

So I went back to work and decided to deal with him later.

At exactly five o'clock, one hour before the closing time, my secretary rang me that I had a visitor.

It was none other than Adam.

"Send him in immediately."

"Alright."

Adam came in.

"Adam, what a pleasant surprise. How have you been?" I smiled up at him, twirling in my swivel chair slowly.

"Good. I want to talk to him." He looked around the office as if I was hiding Gonzalo.

"Oh, you mean Gonzalo? He's out at the moment. He should be back soon, why don't you wait?"

"I can't wait. My girlfriend is waiting in the car at the moment."

I exchanged a look with Romeo who didn't give away any expression. Didn't Romeo say Adam's girlfriend had broken up with him?

What other girlfriend was he then talking about?

He was heartbroken days ago and Adam didn't look like someone that would double date or maybe that was what he was doing and just decided to get together with the other lady when one broke up with him.

"You could just hang around as always. Are you running from us or did you do something you shouldn't have done? Is that why you suddenly stopped showing up at work?" I jokingly asked even though a part of me intentionally asked him the question to gauge his response.

He flinched but then pursed his lips. "I'll wait in my office. Thanks."

And with that, he was out the door, leaving me to stare at the shut door with several thoughts on my mind. Until I remembered one important detail I was missing out on.

I sat straighter. "I should tell Gonzalo about this."

"There's no need. I just did. He's on his way back home as we speak and will see Adam through another means which you don't have to be worried about." Romeo told me.

"Okay."

I smiled warmly at him. He was so diligent in his duties. With that, we got back to work.

*

Gonzalo's cousin is weird. But you have to take his words seriously.

Click on the ⭐ button below your screen to signify a vote and comment your thoughts. Please share this book with your loved ones.