29. Merry Christmas Dickhead.

Quinn

"Hey ladies!" Kate said as she opened the door on Christmas Eve evening. "Come on in!" She said ushering me and my mom into the house, in hushed tones. We walked into the house and towards the kitchen. Incredible smells hitting us as soon as we walked through the threshold.

"It smells amazing in here, Kate!" My mom said with a smile in Kate's directions she joined us after shutting the front door. She smiled at the compliment.

I always loved how close Ryan's mom and my mom were. It had been years since I'd seen this. Mom and I used to come round here all the time, when Dad was working late. As we have probably gathered before. I basically lived here as a kid. It was like a second home to me. But on nights when Kate and James knew that mom was at the house alone. They'd insist she'd come over too.

It was nice to see this again all these years later.

"You really didn't have to do all of this, Kate" Mom said as Kate was showing her all the things that she'd prepped for dinner that night.

"Oh, that won't work mom" I informed her. "One thing I've learnt about this house. Once Kates in the kitchen there's no getting her out... and there's also no way she'll let you help." I said smiling at Kate as she raised an eyebrow at me. I laughed. "Well its true"

"You are BOTH guests in this house" She said "Okay missy!" She warned me with a finger pointed in my direction. "You might have lived here... but now, you are a guest and there's no need for either go you to lift a finger." She said to me and my mom. I looked over at mom and noticed that she's gone a little quite at the mention of me living here.

I gulped at that. I knew she still felt guilty about it. But honestly I had the best time here. And I think the space helped. I mean it made mom realise I was worth fighting for. Not just listening to Dad and never speaking to me again. That I'm grateful for.

"Anyway that's what I have the husband and kids for." She smirked and Mom and I both laughed. "I cook they clean. It's the rules."

"Speaking of..." I trailed off and she new what I was asking about. Gesturing to the very quiet house we were currently in. No sound of Ryan... or even Riley for that matter.

"Riles is out with James, over at Mom and Dad's house getting ready for tomorrow. I have no idea what they're doing. Its the one time of year where James takes over everything. And gives me a well earned break. Believe me a glass of wine is calling me right now." She said and mom and I laughed again. "And Ryan is currently hiding in the basement on a call with Dani as we speak, she called and told him to Skype literally a few minutes before you got here." She finished.

Mom looked at me with a raised eyebrow at the mention of Dani.

"Dani is Ryan's best friend from back in New York." I clarified for her. I turned back to Kate. "Do you know if she gave him his present yet?" I asked.

"She text me saying she was waiting for you to get here" Kat informed me. I smiled. "Go on..." She nodded toward the door to Ryan's basement. "...I know thats where you really want to be... not with us adults." She smirked at me.

"I'm an adult" I said back. Probably in the most un-adult way possible. It gave Rachel's childish stomp a run for its money.

"Yeah okay, Kiddo, you can tell us that when you turn eighteen" Mom said and I pouted.

"Okay fine. I'll leave you two 'Adults' to your 'Adult' time then. Maybe grab that wine early Kate" I smirked and she smirked back at me. "Could I maybe have some of that to..." I was stopped and interrupted before I could finish the word 'tonight'.