Chapter 4

RYDER got up before everyone in the house. Today was his last day off and he didn't want to waste a second from it.
Ryder got out of bed slowly and quietly, making sure not to wake Chase. Yesterday, Chase had knocked out right away when his body felt the bed. He was super exhausted from the race.

No matter how slow and quiet Ryder moved, Chase's sleepy brown eyes cracked open. "Where are you going?" Chase asked. "I'm just gonna get my Friday homework out of the way" Ryder said. "I don't want to do it later".
"Alright, I'll continue sleeping" Chase said, yawning and then dropping his head down.

Ryder petted Chase and then left the bedroom to the bathroom. After washing up, Ryder ate a cream cheese bagel and then started his homework. While doing his homework, Ryder glanced over at Chase several times.
"He's so cute" Ryder said.
"I couldn't have asked for a better pup. Chase is everything to me" Ryder thought.
🐾🐾🐾🐾

By late morning, Ryder's parents were awakening. Chase was already up and about. "How are you feeling after that intense race yesterday?" Ryder asked Chase while putting away his notebook, pencil, and books.
"I'm full of energy!" Chase barked. "I can run around Adventure City one hundred times!".

"Wow! That's a lot of energy!" Ryder laughed. "That's why I need to get my day started before all this energy makes me explode" Chase said. "Let's get you breakfast and then we can go outside" Ryder said.
"Yaya!" Chase cheered, his tail starting to wag.
As Ryder and Chase walked down the stairs, Ryder watched as Chase's tail was wagging faster and faster.

He then gave a light laugh. "What makes you laugh?" Chase asked, looking up at Ryder with wide curious brown eyes. "Your tail" Ryder said, "it's wagging so fast".
"When my tail wags fast, you know I'm energized and excited" Chase said.
🐾🐾🐾🐾

After gobbling up his breakfast, Chase was eager to get outside. "I'm taking Chase outside now" Ryder told his mother, who was washing dishes. "No problem sweetie" Ryder's mother said. "Ryder, bring in the newspaper before you go" Ryder's father said.
"Okay" Ryder said, clipping on Chase's blue leash to his blue collar. He opened the door to see the newspaper sitting on the doorstep.

Ryder picked up the newspaper and unrolled it. Suddenly his eyes widened in shock. On the front page, the title said A Pup Races Against Fire Heart. Below the title, there was the picture of Chase wearing his medal with the trophy besides him. The picture also included Ryder who was next to Chase and Lightening Bolt.

"Great, what are my parents gonna say about this?" Ryder said. Yesterday when Ryder had gotten back home, his parents asked him about the pup race and what happened there.
Ryder just told his parents that it was fun and that Lightening Bolt took victory against Fire Heart. He was too tired to explain what really went on. And now, his parents were about to learn what really happened at the race.

Ryder rolled up the newspaper. "Chase, stay here" Ryder said. "Okay" Chase said.
Ryder went back in the house. While Chase was waiting for Ryder outside, suddenly something scurrying in the grass grabbed Chase's eyes.

He soon came to realize it was a squirrel. Forgetting that Ryder told him to stay put, Chase took off. In it's panic, the squirrel didn't think to run to the big tree in the yard.
The squirrel climbed the yard fence and made a quick getaway. But Chase was eager to get it. So he leaped over the fence but as he continued to run, something yanked him.

Chase tilted his head to see that his leash got caught in the fence. With all his might, Chase pulled and his collar came off.
"I better get that squirrel" Chase said, taking off.

Ryder handed his father the newspaper. "Thanks Ryder" his father said. "Your welcome" Ryder said, running out of the house quickly. "Chase?" Ryder said.
The pup was nowhere in sight. Then Ryder's eyes landed on blue leash that was hanging from the white fence. "Oh no" Ryder said.