Chapter Sixty-One

Alexander's POV

Eight hours and forty-five minutes. That's how long it's been since Louisa stormed out of here, and I haven't heard from her since. The time is close to striking nine, it's getting dark and I can't get through to Louisa.

I paced up and down the office, each step I took my terror and worry mounted upon me. There was an uneasiness in my heart. I feared the worst.

Maggie was ordered to keep me updated by the hour. Yet every time I got her phone call, it was to tell me that she wasn't home. It felt like I was being picked on by a needle, each stab consumed me and I yearned to find Louisa and get her home safe.

My shaky fingers dial Jason's number to get a update. After two rings he finally picks up.

"Anything?" I hastily let out, not allowing him to greet me over the phone.

"Nothing." He sighed. "Rose and I are on the case, don't worry. We will find Louisa."

Disappointment consumed me. I let out a mumble and hung up the phone. Next person to pester was Lily. She picks up in an instant.

"I'm sorry." She lets out in a low tone.

A heavy sigh escapes my mouth. My shoulders slump and feel heavy. The beat of my heart got faster as it hammered in my chest.

"We need to go to the police." I suggested, that was the only option that peered into my head.

"We can't. You can only file a missing person's report if they've been missing for twenty-four hours. It's only been-"

"Eight hours and fifty minutes!" I jab at Lily. It's only been five minutes since I last checked, yet it feels like an eternity.

Every hour, minute and second has been torture. I should have never let her leave. Why did I not run after her?

"Look, just keep me posted." I say in calmer tone.

After hanging up, I slump myself onto the couch. I was in a predicament, if I left to go look for Louisa, there was the thought that she would come back to the office. I didn't want her to think I wasn't here.

In my mind, I repeat over what happened before she stormed out. She muttered I hate you. I knew she didn't mean it. I saw it on her face. The instant regret that washed over her, the guilt that weighed down on her. I wanted to reassure her that I wasn't hurt by her words, and that I knew she didn't mean it.

But when she pushed me away, it felt like a piece of my heart was pulled by a string, and snapped in half. It was pathetic what happened, I wasn't man enough to stop her from leaving.

A knock brings my mind back to the present day. I leap from the sofa, a glimmer of hope made me believe it was Louisa, but there was no reason she would have knocked.

When I opened the door, I saw Lucinda on the other side. I didn't bother to hide my disappointment.

"What do you want?" I mumbled.

"Oh! Nice to see you too." She sarcastically says as she scoffs.

I sigh heavily whilst rolling my eyes. "I don't have time for this, why are you here?"