Chapter Fifty-Four

Time slowly ticked away, as I paced up and down the grand halls of the court

Time slowly ticked away, as I paced up and down the grand halls of the court. There was a sense of fear fluttering around my stomach. My legs were not allowing me to sit patiently in one place.

"Louisa." Rebecca grabbed my attention. "You need to relax-"

"How can I? They didn't allow me to speak. I had so much to say and I was dismissed like they didn't even care," I exclaimed with a worried tone to my voice.

"Keep a positive mind. The jury have a lot of factors to consider. They have my questioning on Charles. Alexander's statement, your statement. The fact that Viv is still nowhere to be seen, she was the only one who could have vouched for Charles," Rebecca calmly responded to my slight erratic behaviour.

I stopped pacing and faced Rebecca. She looked hopeful. I faced Alexander, his brows were furrowed showcasing a concerned look to his face. I etched a small smile as it was all that I could do, with the bundle of nerves building up like a ball.

He extended his hand towards me, without much thought I entwined my hand into his. His arm is looped over my shoulders, bringing me close to him.

I'm not able to fully relax, as the court usher called for everyone to return. A sudden shiver attacked me, my body went cold with dread.

I came out of Alexander's hold, he lovingly squeezed my hand. Rebecca also comforted me, placing her hand onto my shoulder. This was now or never. The decision was made and I had to face whatever the jury decided.

Back in the dreaded courtroom, we take our places. It felt like déjà vu, the repeated act of a dull Charles entering, taking his place. The jury filtering in. The usher calling for us to rise as the judge takes his seat.

The silence in the court room was quite deafening. My heart slammed and thudded into my chest like a banging drum. Long slow breaths escaped my mouth, as I wait for the judgement to be given.

One person out of the twelve jury members, stood up. A woman with no expression, stared far into the distance whilst she waited for the judge to ask her of the outcome.

"Charles Moore please stand," The judge said in a strict and monotone voice.

I made sure not to face Charles, I didn't want him in my line of vision. I felt his presence as he slowly stood up. I grabbed hold of Alexander's hand, his other hand placed on top of mine, soothingly caressing the back of my hand.

"Can I ask you, madam foreman, have you reached a verdict in which you all agreed upon?" The judge asked the head of the jury.

"Yes, we have your honour," The stern lady blandly replied, she straightened her posture, with her hands linked together in front of her.

"On the count of fraud and money laundering, do you find the defendant, guilty or not guilty?" The judge questioned.

The next few seconds felt like a lifetime, as I waited for the answer to come out. It felt like everything around me had stopped. I sank into Alexander's chest, tightly closing my eyes, waiting for my ears to pick up the dreaded words.