Chapter Four

The next few days were pretty average

The next few days were pretty average. Somehow Calum and I were talking to each other, as if our fighting and bickering never happened. The cycle was tiring and constant. We fight, I storm out, someone apologies, we go back to 'normal' and repeat.

I also made the decision to lay off the job hunting for Calum. It felt like my continuous pressuring was putting a strain on our relationship. I held on to the hope that he'd get a job, all I had to do was wait for that time to come.

Friday morning, I woke up alone, Calum was gone, deep in my slumber, I didn't realise he had left. I had no idea where he went. Picking my phone to check the time, what grabbed my attention was an email. It was from work. Shooting up from my bed, my thumbs fumbled to unlock my phone. The email displayed a message, telling me to check my portal. My mind instantly thought about the job.

Without another second of deliberation, I took myself off the bed and got ready. Frantically running around, trying to get myself in check, my legs quickened up the pace and headed towards the car.

After swerving between the cars, I slammed the breaks and parked up, making a run towards my desk. My heart started to beat faster, thumping in my chest like a drum. I was unsure as to why I was feeling like this. I just stared at my computer screen. Thinking about whether I should check the mysterious message on my portal. Maybe I was too hasty, maybe I should wait for Sarah.

Thoughts were shooting around my mind, back and forth like a ping pong ball. A familiar chirpy voice captured my attention.

"Louisa? How are you here before me?" Sarah asked as she took her place at her desk.

"I got an email to check to my portal." My legs bobbed up and down, feeling restless with this unknown email.

Sarah's eyes widened and she gasped, "No way, what does it say?"

"I haven't checked yet; I've just sat here, staring at my screen."

"What are you waiting for? Check now." Sarah demanded.

I mustered the courage and clicked on to the portal. The anticipation of waiting for it to load up was killing me. Could it be any slower? I was finally in and there it was, the message. For now, I could only see, Dear Miss Watts...

I looked at Sarah, she was staring into my soul waiting for me to say something. With a great big sigh, I opened it up. My eyes ran over the screen, left to right. For a moment, I was trying to comprehend what it was saying. Sarah nudged me, still waiting for my response.

"I ... have been invited for an interview," I finally let out

Sarah squealed like an excited little school girl. "Yes! I knew you would get an interview. When is it?"

"That's the thing which caught me off guard, it's today, at twelve. I haven't even had time to prepare." I exclaimed, re-reading the message to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me.