Chapter Twenty-Three

About a week after the party, it felt like life was back to normal, at least what I thought was 'normal'

About a week after the party, it felt like life was back to normal, at least what I thought was 'normal'. Calum started his new job at the call centre. Day by day Calum and I started to get more intimate with each other. I was happy we were going back to how we used to be, but deep down there was something missing.

Sometimes I would find myself spacing out and thinking of Alexander, while kissing and cuddling Calum. I hated myself for thinking of Alexander. I couldn't help it. My mind wondered about what Alexander was doing, where he could be, who could he be with.

At work I felt frustrated, Alexander would barely talk to me. The only time we communicated was at a meeting, or if there was something he needed from me. Often, when he would walk past me, without acknowledging me, I felt like grabbing and shaking him.

He had an invitation to attend a formal ball, so I had hoped to grab his attention. At least this way he would acknowledge and talk to me.

Sitting at my desk, impatiently tapping my nails on the desk, I stared at his door. Waiting for the handle to move. It slowly moved an inch, I jerked in my seat, staring at my computer, pretending to do something.

Alexander walked out his office, glued to his phone, he headed towards the exit. Whilst my face is on the computer, I followed him with my eyes.

"Before I forget," Alexander said as he was about to leave, "One of my business deals fell through, I don't know why, can you follow it up. It's put me at a loss."

"Uh, yeah sure," I replied nonchalantly.

He didn't  say anything else and proceeded to leave.

"Alexander!" I quickly called out, "You've been invited to a formal ball tonight."

Alexander irked his head and narrowed his eyes. He closed the door and made his way in front of my desk.

"What ball?" He asked. putting his phone in his pocket.

"It's Mrs Bingham's ball," I confirmed, checking the email.

"What?" Alexander exclaimed with his eyes wide open, "Mrs Bingham? As in Jane Bingham?"

"Yes," I replied in a questionable tone, feeling slightly confused to his reaction.

He started to chuckle, shaking his head and pacing up and down the room. Now I was even more confused. I stared at Alexander waiting for him to say something.

"When Mrs Bingham host these balls, she's interested in one thing, and one thing only," Alexander finally let out.

"And what's that?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Me," he said in disbelief.

I stayed silent, still confused. I shrugged my shoulders allowing for him to elaborate.