Chapter Eighteen

The first night at Alexander's house, was very long and tiresome

The first night at Alexander's house, was very long and tiresome. At first, I tossed and turned, trying to get some sleep. I felt like I was being strangled by the duvet, I kicked it off. Lying down on the bed like a starfish, I shut my eyes tightly. I gritted my teeth and clenched my jaw, letting out an annoyed groan.

I opened my eyes and all I saw was darkness. There was the subtle light from the moon, seeping through the window.

I reached over to grab my phone. My vision slowly adjusts as the brightness of my phone flashes into my eyes. After realising it had just gone twelve, I slammed the phone back onto the bedside table.

Trying to fall asleep was a mission I couldn't complete. I turned around to lie on my stomach. I crossed my arms in front of me on the bed, and rested my chin.

I started to think about earlier, when we were in the ice cream parlour. Although it was random and spontaneous, the evening with Alexander was bliss. I felt like I was starting to know the real Alexander. He told me stories about his father, his childhood, his hobbies; I loved listening to him talk.

The soft deep tones to his voice, danced their way into my ears, like a song. The way he emphasised and annunciated certain words, they effortlessly rolled off his tongue.

Having a conversation with Alexander was easy and didn't require any effort. I felt comfortable talking to him about my childhood.

I milled over the images of him eating ice cream. The way he placed the spoon in his mouth. His soft lips, covering the spoon, dragging it slowly out of his mouth. Then licking the strawberry sauce off the back and then licking his lips. It didn't occur to me that I was vaguely biting my bottom lip.

Thinking about Alexander made me feel quite parched. I debated whether I should get a bottle of water. Would it be right to walk around this mansion as if it were my place?

I plucked the courage to leave my room. Alexander's house in the dead of night; had an eerily feel to it. When I walked down the stairs, I felt like all my senses were heightened. The dim lights from the floor lamps situated in the corners of the room; allowed me to make my way to the kitchen.

I assumed the kitchen was behind the door, towards the right side of the room, where the dining table was sitting. I hesitantly opened the door and fumbled trying to find the light switch. I managed to locate one switch. A flood of lights illuminated the kitchen.

I noticed the floor, light oak porcelain tiles. A large island in the middle, accompanied by three velvet bar stools, with gold-finished mental legs. From the left wall, all the way to the wall facing me, an array of dove grey coloured kitchen cabinets. The cabinets had a glossy finish, making it shine in the light. The worktop on the cabinets and the island; were cream coloured, infused with gold specks.

I walked over to the American style fridge. Fawning over every little detail of the kitchen. I had never been so starstruck over a kitchen. I shook my head, stopping myself from drooling over it.